This page contains information about transfer credits allocated based on the curriculum and level of education you’ve completed.

Please note: At uOttawa, credits are referred to as “units.”

How we evaluate transfer credits

The granting of transfer credits (units) depends on several factors:

  • The courses and curriculum you’ve completed or attempted
  • Your final grade in those courses
  • The program you’re entering at uOttawa
  • The requirements of that program

We assess what credits (units) you can transfer only after you’ve accepted your offer of admission.

important information icon

This page is to be used for information purposes only.

Policies can change without notice. We may not grant the transfer credits (units) as listed on this page.
We reserve the right to not offer transfer credits (units) in some cases.

Receiving transfer credits

Your institution must be accredited or recognized by your country’s ministry of education. If your institution isn’t on our list of recognized institutions, you must submit proof of accreditation.

To receive your bachelor’s degree, you must complete 50 percent of the credits (units) of your program at the University of Ottawa. We can only grant you transfer credits (units) for less than half the credits (units) you require for your bachelor’s.

Some programs don’t offer transfer credits (units):

  • Political Science and Juris Doctor
  • Dual fast-track programs in health sciences

We don’t grant transfer credits (units) in a bachelor’s program for graduate courses (master’s, PhD, etc.) you’ve taken.

Transfer credits (units) will be posted under Academic Advisement in uoZone, and you will receive a revised offer of admission.

Understanding the transfer credits you’ve received

Once you’ve accepted your offer of admission, the Admissions Office will make an initial assessment of your transfer credits (units).

You’ll receive a revised offer of admission. Log into your uoZone account and download the revised offer to see your transfer credits (units) and read all the information pertinent to it. You don’t have to accept our revised offer even if you accepted our original offer.

When assessing your prior learning, the Admissions Office or your school or faculty may grant you credits (units) for the following:

  • Specific courses: for example, CRM 1301 or FRA 1720
  • Any courses in a certain discipline at a certain level: for example, BIO 1XXX or MAT 2XXX
  • Optional courses: OPT 1XXX, OPT 2XXX, OPT 3XXX or OPT 4XXX

Optional courses count towards your elective courses. If we don’t have specific descriptions of courses you’ve taken, we’ll recognize your prior learning by granting you optional (OPT) course credits (units). If so, this will be on your offer of admission.

We grant you transfer credits (units) based on what we believe would be most advantageous in your program. Please note that you can substitute certain courses if you choose a second discipline or request a change of program. For substitution requests, contact your faculty.

Engineering students: Transfer credits (units) are normally granted for non-engineering courses. You can make a request for transfer credits (units) for specific engineering courses through the Faculty of Engineering.

High school students

The University of Ottawa doesn’t grant transfer credits (units) for high school courses except for the following curriculums:

  • Advanced Placement courses (AP)
  • French Baccalaureate recognized by the AEFE
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)

Students entering uOttawa for first year who’ve taken courses in one of the above curriculums may be eligible for transfer credits (units). This is automatically assessed when we receive your official final grades in the summer.

The maximum number of credits (units) we grant varies depending on your program.

CEGEP students

You can receive up to 15 credits (units) if you’ve passed 12 CEGEP courses.

If you’ve completed more than 17 CEGEP courses, you can receive up to 30 credits (units), which usually represents one year of university study.

Transfer credits (units) available

FacultyNumber of units



Social Sciences

Telfer School Management

Up to 30 units
EngineeringFor Computer Science : Up to 30 units
For other disciplines: Very limited transfer credits
Health SciencesFor Nursing: Up to 21 units
For Dietetics: Very limited transfer credits
For other disciplines: Up to 30 units
Law (Civil Law Section)Up to 9 units for graduates of a technical legal program

Canadian college transfer students

You may be eligible for transfer credits (units):

  • If you’ve completed a two- or three-year diploma program at a college of applied arts and technology in Ontario.
  • If you’ve completed four terms (two years) of full-time study in a Canadian college diploma program, depending on the program you’re applying to, as per the table below.

If you’re in a bachelor’s program, see the “University transfer students” section.

If you’re applying after one year of college in a certificate or diploma program, we won’t grant you any transfer credits (units).

Faculties that grant transfer credits (units) do so based on your discipline, courses completed and length of studies

Transfer credits (units) available (degree programs)

FacultyNumber of units
Arts, Science and Social SciencesUp to 30 units
Telfer School of ManagementWith a two or three-year non-business diploma: Up to 15 units
With a two-year management diploma: Up to 30 units
With a three-year management diploma: Up to 45 units
EngineeringFor Computer Science: Up to 30 units
For other disciplines: Very limited transfer credits
Health SciencesFor Nursing: Up to 21 units
For other disciplines: Up to 30 units

The University of Ottawa has agreements with certain colleges. If you’re applying from one of these colleges, our agreement may affect any transfer credits (units) you receive.

University transfer students

You must declare all studies you’ve attempted or completed on your OUAC application to qualify for transfer credits (units). Failure to do so is considered academic fraud.

If you’ve taken university courses in Canada

If you’re seeking transfer credits (units) for a specific course, you must submit a detailed course syllabus.

You must have a minimum grade of 60% to be granted any transfer credits (units). This doesn’t apply to students transferring from Carleton University or Saint Paul University (who require 50%).

Please note that you require a minimum grade of 65% for Nutrition (NUT) and Nursing (NSG) courses.

If you’ve taken university courses outside of Canada

You must submit detailed course descriptions for us to assess your application for transfer credits (units). If you don’t submit course descriptions (when required) by the end of your first term, you’ll be considered to have declined the credits (units).

Your course syllabus or outline must include the following information:

  • University name where you took the course
  • University subject
  • Course code (if applicable)
  • Credit value and/or number of hours
  • Academic year the course was taken

Have you completed a BTS outside of Canada prior to attending uOttawa?

You may be eligible for up to 30 transfer credits (units) for the courses you’ve completed depending on your program requirements.

Are you currently a student at uOttawa switching faculties?

Current uOttawa students transferring from one program to another have the courses related to the new program transferred automatically.

All courses you’ve passed at uOttawa, as well as any transfer credits (units) you had received related to this program, are automatically applied towards your program requirements, subject to University and/or faculty policies.

You can explore the My Academic Requirements application in uoZone before the enrolment period.

Are you currently a student at uOttawa wishing to take a course at another institution?

To take one or more courses at a university with which the University of Ottawa has no formal agreement, you must have a letter of permission from your faculty. You can find more information about the general policy on credit (unit) transfers.

Are you completing a second degree?

To receive a degree from the University of Ottawa, you must complete at least 50% of your program requirements at uOttawa. You must also meet all specific program requirements.