1848 — Monsignor Joseph-Bruno Guigues (an Oblate from Hautes-Alpes, France) founds the College of Bytown, a bilingual Catholic institution that is today the University of Ottawa, the largest bilingual university in the world.
1965 — The enabling legislation of the University of Ottawa mandates that it “preserve and develop Francophone culture in Ontario” in addition to promoting the development of bilingualism and biculturalism.
1974 — The University of Ottawa adopts the , which gives precedence to French over English in all official communications. This regulation highlights the role of French in Ontario and requires that all services be proactively offered in both official languages.
2016 — The University of Ottawa is officially granted partial designation under the French Language Services Act of Ontario for all of its student services and undergraduate programs, with a small number of exceptions. This designation preserves the Francophone nature of the University by safeguarding the provision of undergraduate programs and student services in French.
2019 — Creation of the Office of the Vice-President, International and Francophonie.