All full-time undergraduate and graduate students, including those on exchange or CO-OP work terms, are required to pay U-Pass fees.

The U-Pass program has existed at the University of Ottawa since 2010. The Universal Transit Pass (U-PASS) offers a discounted fare that came out of a need for affordable student transportation. The program is the direct result of student advocacy and was implemented through successful student referendums organized by the Undergraduate and Graduate Student Associations at the University of Ottawa. Contract negotiations took place resulting in a legally binding agreement to all eligible students. The program is mandatory and provides eligible students with unlimited travel on OC Transpo and STO (Société de transport de l’Outaouais) in Gatineau

U-Pass programs offer students a discount of approximately 45-55% off a regular monthly adult transit pass. It also benefits the local community, the University, and the environment by:

  • Saving you money, especially if you leave the car at home or only partially use your car.
  • Providing unlimited access to the entire transit network in the National Capital Region (Ottawa & Gatineau), which in turn allows students to access jobs, social activities, and a wide variety of museums and parks.
  • Reducing demand for parking on campus; thus, less resources are spent on constructing parking facilities and more valuable land is available for university development.
  • Reducing traffic congestion around the campus and the local community.
  • Contributing to fewer emissions and a reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
  • Stimulating public transportation ridership, particularly during off-peak, non-commuting hours, thereby filling excess capacity.

How do I apply for an exemption from the U-Pass program?

To apply for a U-Pass exemption, you must meet one of the exemption criteria listed on our website. If you do, you need to submit your exemption application via uoZone. We recommend that you do so as soon as possible to receive the best credit possible. There are deadlines to obtain a full credit; following the deadline, credits are prorated.

In uOzone, go to the "Applications" tab and look for "U-Pass – Exemption request". You will be asked to submit the required documents based on the criteria that you meet. Once the form is opened, please click the "Next" button on the left-hand corner.

If you do not meet an exemption criteria or you’re wishing to submit an exemption that is not listed, such as having a parking pass, do not submit the request as it will be rejected. Only exemptions listed on our website can be accepted, there are no exceptions!