February 17, 2023 – Registrations for the competition open
March 24, 2023 - Registrations for the competition close
Until March 17, 2023 - Submission and evaluation of the written business plans for the purpose of selecting a maximum of 8 business projects to continue to the final phase of the competition
March 30, 2023 (Design Day) - Final oral presentations and evaluation of the 8 finalist business projects to receive monetary awards totalling $10,000. The first, second, and third place projects will win $5,000, $3,000, and $2,000, respectively.
Competition eligibility requirements
- Individual entries: participants will need to be registered students in any of the Faculty of Engineering undergraduate or graduate programs of studies during the Fall and/or Winter term.
- Team entries: a majority of the participants need to be registered students in any of the Faculty of Engineering undergraduate or graduate programs of studies during the Fall and Winter term. For teams comprising only two individuals, this condition will be fulfilled if at least one of the two team members meets these eligibility requirements.
The 2-page summary for concept competition must include the following information:
- What problem are you solving?
- What is your solution to the problem?
- How big is the market?
- What is out there (i.e., competitive products and/or existing design solutions)?
- Why do you believe that you are better?
- What is your business model?
- What is the timeline for execution? What are your deliverables?
- Describe your team's skill set.