What is an accommodation for a disability?

An accommodation for a disability is a process used to accommodate employees so that they can fully participate in, and contribute to, the workplace. Under Ontario’s Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the University of Ottawa is required to provide employees with reasonable accommodation measures and to make a reasonable effort to eliminate barriers in the workplace.


Who is considered an employee?

Employees are individuals who perform work or provide services for which they receive monetary compensation from the University of Ottawa. Students paid for work they do at the University of Ottawa as part of the Work-Study Program or during a CO-OP placement are also considered employees.

How do I request an accommodation ?

You will first need to notify your supervisor or the Health and Wellness Sector that you are unable to carry out the essential tasks of your job due to a disability.

What documentation do I need to provide?

In order for the University to develop an Accommodation Plan, you will need to provide the University’s Health and Wellness Sector with documentation about your disability and functional limitations. Once you provide this information, Health and Wellness will review the request and then provide your supervisor with non-confidential information on your functional limitations and how long the accommodation is expected to remain in place. Rest assured that the information provided will remain confidential and that the Health and Wellness Sector will not share any other information without your written consent.

Will I need to provide updated information?

The Health and Wellness Sector may ask you to provide updated information in order to determine whether the accommodation is still required or whether changes to the Accommodation Plan are needed. If the functional limitations or restrictions change, or if the nature of the disability changes, you or your supervisor should promptly contact the Health and Wellness Sector.

Helpful resources

Back to top