Roles and responsibilities
The role of Wardens is to guide, coordinate and emulate safe emergency behaviour during emergencies and drills. Wardens are relied upon to be ambassadors of safe conduct during events that require building occupants to evacuate, shelter-in-place, hold & secure or lockdown. However, they are expected to execute their duties with the utmost regard to their own personal safety.
Some general responsibilities of Wardens include:
- Knowing the evacuation plan for their area of responsibility and all relevant emergency procedures.
- Knowing the locations of areas of refuge/assembly for each building.
- Being familiar with special risks or hazards, and the location of fire extinguishers.
- Being familiar with personnel in their assigned zones that may require assistance to evacuate.
- Encouraging occupants in their assigned zones to be aware of the emergency procedures, evacuation routes and assembly locations.
- Communicating emergency instructions to building occupants during an emergency.
- Participating in drills and trainings.
- Assisting in prevention efforts by noting and reporting where hazards or unsafe conditions exist.