Brief history

The College of Bytown was founded in 1848 by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate as a bilingual Catholic college; from its very beginnings, students studied in both English and French. In 1866, the recently renamed College of Ottawa was elevated to university status by royal charter, and in 1889, it secured a pontifical charter. In 1965, the Oblates relinquished administration of the University and it became a provincially funded secular institution.

Back to top