Kevin Mongeon is an associate professor of sport management at the University of Ottawa. His research examines a variety of topics involved in the economics of sports, including professional sports, amateur sports, discrimination, and player productivity. Professor Mongeon creates Big Data sets and develops statistical models relevant to various fields. Some of his recent research examines referee and salary discrimination, the production of winning, and league behaviour in the NHL. He has also contributed expert reports on player contributions and team valuations in a class action lawsuit involving minimum wage disputes in the CHL. His teaching interests include sports economics and finance, statistics, Bayesian econometrics, industrial organization, and data science. He is currently taking on new graduate and post-graduate students.
- Applied economics, Bayesian econometrics, Industrial organization
- Education economics, Sports economics
- Data science, Analytics and sports analytics
- Mongeon, Kevin, David Hedlund, and Ryan Spalding. 2021. “Analytics in the Sport Industry”. In Contemporary Sport Management (Seventh Edition), ed. by Paul Pedersen and Lucie Thibault. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Ludwa, Izabella A., Kevin Mongeon, Malcolm Sanderson, Luis Gracia Marco, and Panagiota Klentrou. "Testing the functional model of bone development: Direct and mediating role of muscle strength on bone properties in growing youth." International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 18, no. 6 (2021): 3154.
- Mongeon, Kevin, and J. Michael Boyle. 2017. “A Further Assessment of the Impacts of Cultural and Language Diversity in the National Hockey League”. In Breaking the Ice: The Economics of Hockey, ed. by Bernd Frick, 113–129. New York, NY: Springer Publishing.
- Mongeon, Kevin. 2015. “A Market Test for Ethnic Discrimination in the National Hockey League”. Journal of Sports Economics 16 (5): 460–481.
- Kaplan, Edward, Kevin Mongeon, and John Ryan. 2014. “A Markov Model for Hockey: Manpower Differential and Win Probability Added”. INFOR: Information Systems and Operational Research 52 (2): 39–50.
- Mongeon, Kevin, and Jason Winfree. 2013. “The Effects of Cross-Ownership and League Policies Across Sports Leagues Within a City”. Review of Industrial Organization 43 (3): 145–162.