Through his research programs, Dr. Bryce develops and applies solid-state NMR spectroscopic and quantum chemical methods for the study of nuclei in unique bonding environments in diverse solid compounds, cocrystals, and materials. One of the goals is to establish tools for providing new insights into supramolecular materials and related systems. Non-covalent halogen bonds, pnictogen bonds, chalcogen bonds, and tetrel bonds are a current focus. NMR crystallography, crystal engineering, and mechanochemistry are also particular areas of interest and application. In addition to providing fundamentally new chemical knowledge on structure and bonding in such systems, one of the aims is to establish solid-state NMR as more of a predictive tool in the characterization of inorganic and bioinorganic molecules.
Professor Bryce is accepting graduate students.
- P. M. J. Szell, S. Zablotny, and D. L. Bryce. Halogen Bonding as a Supramolecular Dynamics Catalyst. Nature Commun., 10, article number 916, (2019).
- C. Leroy, R. Johannson, and D. L. Bryce. 121/123Sb Nuclear Quadrupole Resonance Spectroscopy: Characterization of Non-Covalent Pnictogen Bonds and NQR Crystallography. J. Phys. Chem. A, 123, 1030-1043 (2019).
- Y. Xu, J. Huang, B. Gabidullin, and D. L. Bryce. A Rare Example of a Phosphine as a Halogen Bond Acceptor. Chem. Commun., 54, 11041-11043 (2018).
- P. M. J. Szell, S. A. Gabriel, E. Caron-Poulin, O. Jeannin, M. Fourmigue, and D. L. Bryce. Cosublimation: A Rapid Route Towards Otherwise Inaccessible Halogen-Bonded Architectures. Cryst. Growth Des., 18, 6227-6238 (2018).
- Y. T. A. Wong, J. Landmann, M. Finze, and D. L. Bryce. Dynamic Disorder and Electronic Structures of Electron-Precise Dianionic Diboranes: Insights from Solid-State Multinuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 139, 8200-8211 (2017). PDF.
- F. A. Perras, D. Marion, J. Boisbouvier, D. L. Bryce, and M. J. Plevin. Observation of CH...π Interactions Between Methyl and Carbonyl Groups in Proteins. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 56, 7564-7567 (2017). PDF.
- S. A. Southern and D. L. Bryce. NMR Investigations of Non-Covalent Carbon Tetrel Bonds. Computational Assessment and Initial Experimental Observation. J. Phys. Chem. A, 119, 11891-11899 (2015).
- F. A. Perras and D. L. Bryce. Symmetry-Amplified J Splittings for Quadrupolar Spin Pairs: A Solid-State NMR Probe of Homoatomic Covalent Bonds. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 135, 12596 (2013).
- M. J. Plevin, D. L. Bryce, and J. Boisbouvier. Direct Detection of CH/pi Interactions in Proteins. Nature Chem., 2, 466-471 (2010).