First-year FAQ

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2017

By Brandon Gillet

New to uOttawa and looking for info? We've googled it for you!

What’s the difference between Welcome Week and 101 Week?

Where can I park my bike or car?

  • Cycling is a great commuting option. There are about 170 bicycle racks across campus, as well as two secure bike cages (near Montpetit Hall and in the Desmarais garage) available for $10 a term or $25 for a whole year.
  • For cars, the University’s parking services charge various rates.

How do I get around campus?

Use this interactive map to get your bearings. (Note that classes finish 10 minutes before their scheduled end to allow travel time between back-to-back classes.)

How can I avoid the lines to get my uOttawa Card or buy books?

  • New students can order a uOttawa Card online. This allows you to use your own favourite photo and save time when picking up your card. You’ll need the card to access the gym and library, use your meal plan, pay for photocopying and more, so get it as soon as you can.
  • Put money on your card online or use one of the reloading stations on campus. Having money on your card will allow you to save time by using the special fast lane at the bookstore.

Where can I go for counselling and care?

The University of Ottawa walk-in clinic and other health services are located at 100 Marie Curie.

The Student Academic Success Service (SASS) is a network of free services and programs providing much other useful help:

Whom can I talk to about my academic path?

Each faculty has academic advisers ready to answer your questions. Check your faculty website and make an appointment.

How do I keep track of my academic matters?

  • Log into uoZone to access your uOttawa Gmail account, the Virtual Campus learning platform, the Student Centre and much more.
  • Be sure to check your uOttawa Gmail account — professors use it to share important information.
  • The Student Centre is where you can add (by September 22) or drop classes (by September 29 with financial credit or by November 17 without), and keep track of your grades after each term.

Where can I eat on campus?

Can I earn money while studying?

Yes! More than 1,700 positions are available through the Work-Study Program, which allows eligible students to work part time during the academic year and full time in the summer.

How can I ensure my rights are protected?

What if I have other safety concerns?

The University's Protection Services handles all aspects of security on campus, including community protection and theft prevention. They also work with the SFUO to run the valuable Foot Patrol program. Protection services can be reached at 613-562-5499 (non-emergency) and 613-562-5411 (emergency).

Where can I find more information?

Back to top