The mandate of the REBs is to assess and sanction the ethical aspects of all research projects involving human participants conducted under their jurisdiction by their professors and students, prior to their inception and during their execution. The REBs also verify how researchers plan to take on their ethical responsibilities. The REBs must also approve all projects in which students, professors or support staff of the University of Ottawa serve as research participants.
- Each member is appointed by the Vice-President, Research and Innovation.
- The mandate is a three-year period, renewable once, with the terms staggered to maintain continuity.
- For student members, the mandate is a one-year period, renewable twice.
- A period of observation and training takes place before the beginning of the mandate.
- The Vice-President, Research and Innovation may appoint substitute members so that REB activities are not paralyzed by any unforeseen eventualities.
There are two Research Ethics Boards (REB) at the University of Ottawa.
- The Social Sciences and Humanities REB evaluates all research projects originating from School of Management, and the Faculties of Arts, Education, Law and Social Sciences (except School of Psychology).
- The Health Sciences and Science REB evaluates all projects originating from the Faculties of Engineering, Science, Health Sciences and Medicine and the School of Psychology.
Research projects taking place at any of the regional affiliated hospitals (recruitment or data collection) must also be reviewed by the REB of that hospital. It is generally recommended that researchers submit their applications to the hospital REB first, and once approval is obtained, submit to the uOttawa REB for expedited review. We recommend that researchers contact both REBs before beginning this process to ensure the correct steps are being followed.
Information on the affiliated hospital REBs can be found at the following links:
Ottawa Health Science Network REB
(Ottawa Hospital and Heart Institute)
Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario REB
Royal REB (Institute of Mental Health Research)