This includes the preparation for, conduct of, and follow-up from full accreditations, interim visits, and the interim review process established by the Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada. Reporting to the Vice-Dean, Undergraduate Medical Education, the Director of Accreditation will participate in development, implementation, strategic planning and evaluation processes that facilitate the standards-based process of continuous quality improvement leading to enhancing the structure, function and performance of the MD Program.
The Undergraduate Medical Education program is a distributed medical education program that employs highly student-engaged pedagogical approaches, including problem-based and other small group learning methods. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest and experience in medical education, and more specifically in the concepts, philosophy, and process of accreditation, especially in undergraduate medical education. The MD Program is jointly accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) and the Council of Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools (CACMS). Familiarity and/or experience with the process of undergraduate medical
Functions and responsibilities:
Oversees all activities within the UGME Program, at all educational sites, related to the accreditation process, including:
Collaborates with the Vice-Dean, UGME to provide oversight and preparation of the curriculum database and self-study for the full LCME/CACMS accreditation process;
Provides training to faculty, students, administrators, teachers, and leaders of the UGME Program about the UGME accreditation process;
Prepares the UGME Program participants for accreditation visits;
Organizes and coordinates the logistics of all accreditation-related visits;
Follows-up on all areas of non-compliance or compliance requiring monitoring between formal accreditation visits; and,
Prepares all accreditation-related correspondence, including letters and reports for LCME/CACMS.
- Oversees the work of the Accreditation Coordinator.
- Oversees and conduct the interim review process at the midpoint between full accreditations.
- Participates in workshops or meetings related to the LCME/CACMS accreditation process or AFMC interim review process. This will include bi-annual meetings of the national Interim Review Coordinators, meetings at the Canadian Conference of Medical Education (CCME), and meetings at the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) Meeting.
- Collaborates with Interim Review Coordinators of other Canadian Schools of Medicine.
- Participates as an external reviewer on the interim review of other Canadian Schools of Medicine.
- Participates in LCME/CACMS accreditations as required and as availability allows.
- Collaborates with the Curriculum Director and the Director of Evaluation to ensure optimal monitoring of elements of the UGME Program related to accreditation standards to facilitate identification of potential areas of concern and to facilitate the delivery of programming that meets or exceeds accreditation standards.
- Contributes to the development and review of policies to ensure that they meet or exceed accreditation standards.
- Participates in quality improvement activities within the UGME Program.
- Chairs the Accreditation Committee.
- Member of the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, Preclerkship and Clerkship Committees, and others as necessary.
- Supports scholarly activity by adopting evidence-informed, best practices and supporting research activities within the accreditation process.
Compensation and location:
This position will report to the Vice-Dean, Undergraduate Medical Education. Time allocation is 1 day per week.
Applications and/or suggestions for nominations, including cover letter and CV from applicants, should be sent to the following no later than September 2, 2022.
Dr. Charles Su
Interim Vice-Dean, Undergraduate Medical Education
University of Ottawa, Faculty of Medicine
451 Smyth Rd, Room 2038A
Ottawa, ON K1H 8M5
Email: [email protected]
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. However, preference will be given to Canadian Citizens and permanent residents