Main interests reside in the problem of assigning structures to organic cations, in the Thermochemistry (Heats of Formation, Ionization Energies and Bond Strengths) of Ions and Molecules. The laboratory contains unique apparatus for investigating ion structures and for the emission of radiation therefrom.
- X. Wang and J. L. Holmes. Exploring the Potential Energy Surface of Ion-Molecule Pairs by Experiment and Theory; Acetaldehyde and Methanol. Int. J. Mass Spectrom. 242, 75-85., 2005
- X. Wang and J. L. Holmes. The Unexpected Decarbonylation of Ionized 2,3-Pentanedione and Related Diketones. Int. J. Mass Spectrom. 249-250, 222-239., 2006
- X. Wang, W. Sun and J. L. Holmes. The Water-Assisted Interconversions and Dissociations of the Acetaldehyde Cation and its Isomers. J. Phys. Chem. A. 110, 8409-8417., 2006
- Holmes, J., K. Jobst and J. K. Terlouw. Isotopic Labelling in Mass Spectrometry as a Tool for Studying Reaction Mechanisms of Ion Dissociations. Journal of Labelled Compounds and Radiopharmaceuticals. , 0
- Holmes, J., Paul Mayer and Christiane Aubry. Assigning Structures to Ions in Mass Spectrometry. CRC Press, Boca Raton, pp 446., 2007