Each year, in early March, the School of Social Work organizes National Social Work Week. Lectures, roundtables, workshops and other activities are organized around a theme determined by an organizing committee made up of students, other members of the school, and the community. The goal of the week is to enhance the student experience outside the classroom, and to create a space for exchange, awareness raising and mobilization concerning the different realities of social work, particularly in French Ontario.
National Social Work Week 2023 Theme
National Social Work Week 2023 theme (in French only): « Pratiques et approches innovatrices en travail social »
From March 6 to 10, 2023
For the fourteenth consecutive year, social work students, the Social Work Student Association, the School of Social Work and the Faculty of Social Sciences invite you to participate in the various activities organized as part of the University of Ottawa's National Social Work Week, with the financial support of the National Health Education Consortium (NHEC) and the Ontario Association of Social Workers (OASW).
This year, due to the lifting of some restrictions related to the Covid-19 pandemic, the majority of our events will be face-to-face.
All events will be held in French only.
In the face of many upheavals, both in the pandemic and in the social system, but also in the systemic racism and colonialism that has continued to mark recent years, the theme of this week: « Pratiques et approches innovatrices en travail social » addresses the need to broaden our methods, to adopt and discover new and diverse tools to improve and renew social intervention practices.
Spread out over a week, these activities will allow you to live different experiences related to your program of study while offering you the opportunity to meet your professors, practitioners, students registered in the different programs offered at the Faculty of Social Sciences as well as members of the community. Most activities are open to all community members interested in participating and one activity is exclusively reserved for social work students.
Events scheduled for the National Social Work Week 2023
- Monday March 6
- No events scheduled.
- Tuesday March 7
- 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. - Opening ceremony and presentation of some research done by professors from the School of Social Work (only in French)
- 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. - Workshop - « Approches et outils innovateurs en travail social ». Miche-Lyne Chagnon (only in French)
- Wednesday March 8
- 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. - Student symposium - 3rd edition (only in French)
- 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. - MAGUSHAN-SVS Community Dinner (only in French)
- Thursday March 9
- 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. - Discussion space for SVS students - « La Zoothérapie : intervention efficace en santé mentale ». Audrey Desrosiers, Au bout du museau. (only in French)
- Friday March 10
- 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. - Living Library and Closing Ceremony: « Différentes approches et pratiques innovatrices présentées par les intervenant.es dans différents domaines du travail social ». (only in French)