NEW – We are excited to announce that you can now go online to book appointments in advance for all financial aid and awards services. For the best quality of service, join our virtual line.

Government assistance

Many students count on government financial assistance to pay for their studies. Applying for government financial assistance could be to your advantage because being approved for this assistance is one of the eligibility criteria for some bursaries. In addition, the loans can remain interest free while you’re a full-time student and you aren’t required to make any payments on them as long as you’re a full-time student in an approved postsecondary program.

Ontario residents

If you’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or a protected person living in Ontario, you may be able to apply for financial assistance through the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).

Applying for OSAP and receiving your funds

Residents outside Ontario

If you're a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or a protected person living in a province or territory outside Ontario, check the financial aid programs of your province or territory of residence. You may qualify for assistance even if you move to Ontario to study.

American citizens

If you’re an American citizen studying full time at the University of Ottawa, you may be able to apply for student loans through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program.

Applying for a loan and receiving your funds

International students

The Financial Aid and Awards Service doesn’t offer access to loan programs for international students who don’t fall into an eligible citizenship category. However, this doesn’t mean there aren’t loan options available to you in your home country. It’s worth checking with your government representatives to find out if there are any options you can benefit from.

Indigenous Canadian students

If you are a First Nations or Inuit student, you may be eligible to apply for financial support for Indigenous Canadians.

Back to top