Are you interested in studying at the University of Ottawa, but don’t know where to start? Take a look at this application checklist designed especially for you!

Remember that everything you'll need to know throughout your studies, from choosing a program to getting your diploma, is available on the EM Academic Essentials and Services website. Some of these academic essentials are offered at the undergraduate level only.

  • Attend an information session at your high school or on campus
  • Book a campus tour
  • Find the right program for you! Check out hundreds of Undergraduate, Graduate and Postdoctoral programs offered at the University. Take a look at the Programs section for Alternative admissions options for Indigenous students and Programs with Indigenous content.
  • Visit the Indigenous Student Portal to learn about more about current Indigenous students, support programs, and services available to you.
  • Visit the University of Ottawa’s Registrar’s webpage to learn more about what you need for undergraduate applications or for graduate/doctoral applications.
  • Select your program(s); review the prerequisites
  • Log into the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC) and complete your online application.
    • With OUAC, you can state your Indigenous identity (i.e., you can select if you are First Nation (status or non-status), Métis, or Inuit). It is important to declare your Indigenous identity if you wish to be considered for the Indigenous admission streams for specific programs, and to be contacted about programs and services for Indigenous students.
  • Be sure to order all transcripts (from your high school and any other postsecondary institutions you have attended).
  • Track your application by using uoZone.
Finance your studies
  • Contact your band council/tribal office, First Nation, Métis, or Inuit community or organization to explore all financing and sponsorship opportunities.
    • Métis Nation of Ontario Bursaries and Scholarships Program
      • Métis students can apply for the Métis Student Bursary Program (MSBP) at the Financial Aid Office, Aboriginal Student Liaison Centre or through Student Support Services at the participating college or university. Bursary applications are available to students following registration in the fall. Deadlines are school-specific and bursary recipients are announced at the beginning of each school year. Students may reapply for bursaries and/or scholarships each year when they register for school. The number of bursaries will vary, depending on the accumulation of interest each year.
    • MNO Employment and Training Programs
      • Offer financial support to qualified Métis individuals. The focus of each program is employment and employability.
  • Research all scholarships, bursaries and grants - you may wish to reach out to your guidance counsellor for support. As well, be sure to check out funding and scholarship opportunities from Indigenous Affairs and Northern Development Canada, local community organizations, and Canadian scholarship websites. Don’t forget the Financial Aid section of this website!
  • Complete your “Financial Questionnaire” and “Online Scholarships and Bursaries” portfolios in uoZone to apply for scholarships from the University.
  • Consider participating in the CO-OP education program , so you can take part in up to 16 months of paid work placements in your field of study.
  • Visit the Career Development Centre to discuss your employment options while studying
Prepare for your first year

The Student Guide outlines everything you need to know and do during your first year at the University, as well as ways to enrich your student experience.

The following points are only a few of the issues you might want to consider:


  • Apply for residence if you would like to live on campus during your first year.
  • Review your off-campus housing options if you are new to Ottawa.

Nutrition and health

  • You may wish to purchase a meal plan (loaded directly onto your student card). Note that meal plans are mandatory for students living in Stanton, Thompson, Marchand, Leblanc or 90 University residences.
  • The University of Ottawa Students Union (UOSU) and the Graduate Students Association of the University of Ottawa (GSAÉD) offer health and dental insurance plans for eligible full-time students. You may opt-in if you are part-time, or opt-out if you already have insurance coverage, such as insurance plans through your parents, partner/spouse, or band office.
  • You will have access to health services on campus, including a walk-in clinic and pharmacy.

Transportation and parking

  • Pick up your bus pass, known as a U-Pass, in mid-August. This bus pass gives you unlimited access to the City of Ottawa’s OC Transpo, O Train and Para Transpo services from September to April. Your uoZone account will confirm your eligibility.
  • If you are driving, you may want to apply for on-campus parking or for a City of Ottawa parking permit.
Back to top