International and exchange students are temporary residents in Canada. So, it’s important for you to learn about the procedures and documentation you need to enter and study in Canada.

Update for newly admitted students

Most students will need to include a provincial attestation letter (PAL) issued by Ontario’s provincial government when applying to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada for a study permit. The University will send these attestation letters to applicants who have accepted their offer of admission. Only applicants who have accepted their offer of admission are eligible to receive a provincial attestation letter. While awaiting your letter, we encourage you to prepare the other documents required to apply for a study permit.

Need assistance or clarification? Join our weekly SOS Immigration sessions or contact us via email at [email protected].

Immigration information

Immigration is facilitated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), a department of the Canadian federal government.

The information on this website is provided for your information only. While we strive to be accurate, it is provided “as is,” without any guarantees and subject to change. For official, up-to-date information about immigration, refugee, and citizenship matters go to Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada. You can also see up-to-date versions of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and relevant regulations for students.

International student and immigration advisers

Our international student advisers are Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisers (RISIAs) who can support you in your temporary stay in Canada. More specifically, they can help you with your temporary resident status in Canada.

Here are the different ways that you can get immigration information:

Attend a weekly virtual "SOS Immigration" drop-in session

Our immigration advisers offer weekly virtual SOS Immigration Q&A sessions on temporary residence. Please note that the Zoom link to join remains the same every week. These sessions are delivered in a group setting. Therefore, you can also benefit from listening to other students’ queries. If your query is confidential, you can email us at [email protected].

Canadian flag painted on the ground
May 1 to Aug 29

SOS Immigration

Attend these weekly virtual Q&A sessions to ask our immigration advisors your questions regarding your temporary residence.

Recordings and tutorials

Our immigration advisers add recordings of their information sessions and tutorials to the uOttawa International YouTube channel Immigration Information Sessions Playlist. In addition to the recording, you can find a PDF of the PowerPoint presentation in the video’s description. Available tutorials cover several topics including making an urgent request, overcoming a study permit refusal, extending a study permit, and applying for a post-graduation work permit.

One-on-one advising

You can email simple questions to our immigration advisers. For more complex situations or to have your application reviewed before submission, we recommend that you email us to book an advising appointment. See the above resources first, though, as they may answer your questions.

Before booking an advising appointment, consider attending a weekly virtual “SOS Immigration” drop-in session. You might get your answers in real-time.

Who can access our services

Current international students at the University of Ottawa have access to our full range of services. We offer our services for up to 90 days following completion of studies.

Our immigration services aim to support you throughout your application process. However, our immigration advisers can’t represent you on your Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada applications.

If your immigration query isn’t on the list below or it deals with permanent residence, you may wish to consult an immigration professional. You can find an immigration professional through The College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (CICC).

Types of advice our immigration advisers provide

Our immigration advisers can provide advice on temporary residence matters. Topics include:

Tuition fees and immigration status

Tuition fees at uOttawa vary according to your immigration status in Canada. If you change your status, you must submit proof of your new status to InfoService to update your information in our database and possibly qualify for Canadian tuition fees. For more information on tuition, see the rules governing university fees.

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) and immigration status

Changes to your status will affect your University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) coverage. Make sure there are no gaps between the end of your UHIP coverage and the start of your provincial coverage.

For more information about insurance coverage and deadlines to make changes, email us.

Travel outside Canada

Your Canadian study permit, temporary resident visa or electronic travel authorization doesn’t guarantee entry to any other country.

If you’d like to travel to another country during your stay in Canada, contact its consulate or the embassy to find out which documents you need. Here’s a list of consular offices in Canada.

Our immigration advisers can offer advice only on Canadian immigration matters and can’t help you with your application for a visa to another country.

Frequently asked questions

FAQ last review by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC): May-22-2024.

Contact us


Tabaret Hall, Room M386
550 Cumberland Street
Ottawa, Ontario
K1N 6N5

Tel: 613-562-5847
Fax: 613-562-5100
Email: [email protected]

Hours of operation

September 1 to May 31: 
Monday to Friday: 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

June 1 to August 31:
Monday to Friday: 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Please note that the University of Ottawa offices are closed during statutory holidays and during the winter break. Visit the Important academic dates and deadlines page for more information.