Income tax slips for students


Print your form through uoZone, under the Finances and jobs tab. The form will be available on or before February 19. You don't have to include this form with your income tax—you submit it only if the government asks for it later on.

Remember that the T2202 isn't an official receipt, but rather a confirmation of the deductible fees for a given fiscal year. Only the fees you have actually paid appear on your T2202.

For more information on your income tax return, visit the Canada Revenue Agency website.

(Note the official name change of the form, from T2202A to T2202 starting at the 2019 taxation year)


You receive a T4A slip if you received awards, scholarships or bursaries from the University of Ottawa during the fiscal year (even if the funds come from other agencies or organizations). The slips are available on uoZone at the end of February.

For more information, visit the Canada Revenue Agency website.

If you are a student who is also an employee of the University and you received a salary in 2018, please remember to go to your University of Ottawa employee email for details about your T4/T4A.

RL-8 slip (Relevé 8) (Quebec residents)

RL-8 slips are issued by the Ministère du Revenu du Québec and is intended for Quebec residents. Print your slip through uoZone, under the Finances and jobs tab. RL-8 slips will be available on or before February 15.

A credit for full-time post-secondary studies is calculated based on the number of sessions that the student started and completed during the year. The amount is to be claimed by the person claiming the student as a dependant (generally the student's father or mother). This amount is not tuition fees.


For tax years:

Prior to 2017: You can claim a portion of the cost of your transit pass on your Income Tax Return. Print your slip through uoZone, under the Finances and jobs tab.

2017: You can only claim the cost of monthly public transit passes or passes of longer duration for travel on public transit for the period of January 1, 2017 to June 30, 2017. For more information, please visit Canada Revenue Agency's web site.

After 2017: Due to the elimination of the public transit tax credit, a UPass tax receipt won't be issued after 2017.

Additional information

Employer Identification Number (EIN) (required by the United States)

The Employer Identification Number of the University of Ottawa is 98-0654654.

Also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number (FTIN), this number must be provided by American students, who must submit information on the amounts they receive from abroad in their tax return.


Individual Tax Number for Non-Residents (ITN)

If you are an International student and don’t have a social insurance number, you’ll need an Individual Tax Number for Non-Residents (ITN). To obtain this number, please visit the Canada Revenue Agency’s website.  


Other Information

The University does not provide tax advice. Whether or not you can take advantage of these tax credits depends on your personal circumstances. For more information on income tax, visit the Canada Revenue Agency website.

  • If you are a resident of the province of Ontario or the province of Saskatchewan for the purpose of income tax for 2017 and after, please see the following links for information regarding changes to tax credit or contact the Canada Revenue Agency.

For questions about your income tax slips, contact InfoService by email at, by phone at 613-562- 5630 or in person at 75 Laurier Avenue East.

Back to top