Out of province tuition fee exemptions

Some out-of-province students pay Ontario tuition fees. If you've been billed as a non-Ontario resident and need to apply to pay Ontario tuition fees, this page explains who’s eligible, how to apply and what supporting documentation to submit in the application process.


If you’ve been billed non-Ontario resident tuition fees but are eligible to pay Ontario resident tuition fees due to your residency status, you can request a tuition fee billing change. Submit your request with the required documentation by the following deadlines:

Fall 2024: September 27, 2024

Winter 2025: January 24, 2025

Spring-Summer 2024: July 24, 2024


  • The adjustment will be made during the study period when the fee change has been approved. We don’t make fee changes for prior study periods.
  • No exceptions to these deadlines can be made.

Eligibility for Ontario resident tuition fees

Submit the required documentation based on which of the eligibility scenarios below applies to you by the Fall-Winter or Summer term deadline.


To help you determine if you fit one of the eligibility scenarios above, here’s a list of definitions. They should help you understand Ontario resident tuition billing. However, they don’t show whether you’re eligible for other University of Ottawa services.


“Parent” or “parents” refers to one or both birth parents, adoptive parents, step-parents, legal guardians or official sponsors.

Approved in Principle (AIP) and Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR)

According to the Government of Canada glossary, permanent residence applicants have been “approved in principle” when they’ve received a letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) stating that they meet the permanent residence eligibility requirements, but they have to pass the medical, security and background checks. Students can present their Approval in Principle or official Acknowledgment of Receipt letter as proof of this status.

Independent student

You’re an independent student if one of the following is true:

  • You’re married or in a common law relationship
  • You’re a parent
  • You’ve been out of high school for six years or more at the start of your study period
  • You’ve worked full time for at least 24 months in a row
  • Both your parents are deceased

Dependent student

You’re a dependent student if all of the following are true:

  • You’re not married or in a common-law relationship
  • You’re not separated, divorced or widowed
  • You’re not a parent
  • You’ve been out of high school for less than six years before the start of your study period
  • You haven’t worked full time for at least 24 months in a row

Common-law relationship

As defined by the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), you are living in a common-law relationship if you and your spouse:

  • have cohabitated continuously for a period of at least three years or;
  • are in a relationship of some permanence and are the natural or adoptive parents of a child.

Request form

To request Ontario resident tuition fee billing, complete and submit the form along with the required documentation. If your request is approved, your enrolment records will be revised to show you’re billed Ontario resident tuition fees. We’ll send our decision on your request to your @uOttawa.ca email address.