The University of Ottawa takes all necessary measures to ensure that students, staff and external agencies know how to proceed in the event of an on-campus emergency.

Protection Services is ready and waiting to delegate duties and to coordinate support from internal resources and local authorities, ensuring the best possible outcome for everyone involved.

For more information, visit Protection Services’ website.

The best way to protect yourself during an emergency is to know how to respond before it happens. Make sure you’re prepared for emergencies by checking out uOttawa’s Emergency Preparedness site. There, you can find information about what to do during all sorts of emergencies, including severe weather and earthquakes, flooding and shelter-in-place /lockdown emergencies. The Laboratory Safety Manual also provides details about laboratory practices to maintain a safe workplace and how to react in case of an incident or accident.


    An incident is an event resulting in damage, or potential damage, to property and/or the environment such as a fire, spill, breakage, etc. We understand that certain incidents may happen in the course of your work. To report any emergency incidents, please call Protection Services immediately at x5411.

    Report any non-emergency incidents to Health and Safety by emailing at [email protected]

    Finally, all incidents must be reported to the University through the Accidents, Incidents, and Occupational Disease form as soon as possible to aid in the investigation of causes, remediation of issues, as well as helping any potential insurance issues. 

    Any non-urgent problems relating to building maintenance should be reported to Facilities Office by emailing at [email protected]

    All maintenance emergencies should be directed to x2222 or to emergency number x5411, 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. A maintenance emergency is a situation where the condition of a building, grounds or vehicles can affect the safety of users or can create a dangerous situation.

    • Heating, ventilation and air conditioning
    • Electricity and plumbing
    • Campus roads
    • Traffic signs
    • Housekeeping
    • Maintenance of ground (icy or unsafe conditions)
    • Transportation

    Hazardous Material Emergency Management

    If this is an emergency, call protection services at 613-562-5411 or by dialing extension 5411 from a landline.

    The University has an emergency management plan in place to address any potential hazardous material incidents or spills at the University. All spills are reported to Protection Services by calling 613-562-5411 or by dialing extension 5411 from a landline. Small-scale spills with limited to no health hazards are generally cleaned up by lab personnel using spill kits that include absorbent materials and other safety equipment. If it is determined that the spill is beyond our immediate emergency response capabilities, protection services will dispatch a specialized emergency response contractor to assess the situation and coordinate the cleanup in collaboration with the Office of Risk Management.

    Fire Emergency

    Report an Accident, Incident or Health Emergency

    All accidents, injuries, or health emergencies must be reported as soon as possible to aid in the investigation of causes, remediation of issues, as well as helping any potential insurance issues. Please fill out the online Accidents, Incidents, and Occupational Disease reporting form

    In the case of all serious health emergencies or injuries, call Protection at x5411. Serious health emergencies include, but are not limited to:

    • Life is in jeopardy
    • Unconsciousness
    • Substantial loss of blood
    • Limb fracture
    • Burns to a major portion of the body
    • Loss of sight in an eye

    The Protection Services Dispatcher will:

    • Coordinate the appropriate response from the City of Ottawa (fire, ambulance, etc.).
      • Be sure to provide as much necessary information as you can about the incident, the location, etc. 
    • Send a University officer to your location to provide initial care
    • Alert the Faculty Health, Safety and Risk Management office to help expedite the response. 

    To deal with other issues, there are several Designated First Aiders located throughout the Health Sciences Campus: