Information on university fees

The Board of Governors reserves the right to change fees and rules governing refunds without prior notice.

Tuition fees

Tuition fees vary according to your legal status in Canada, as defined in the regulations of the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.

Tuition for Canadian citizens

Tuition for Canadian citizens applies to the following students:

  • A.  Citizens or permanent residents of Canada and their dependants1:
    • If you are in this category but were born outside of Canada, you must submit proof of your Canadian status to InfoService to qualify for Canadian tuition. A valid Canadian passport and, in most cases, a photo ID along with a social insurance number not starting with the number 9 can also be used. If you are in the process of obtaining your permanent residence status, we require a letter from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) confirming it has received your application for permanent residency.
  • B.  Members of the diplomatic corps and their dependants.1
  • C.  Persons granted entry into Canada to come and work, and their dependants.2
  • D.  Refugees and their dependants recognized by the Canadian government.1+3

If you belong to category BC or D, you must provide supporting documents to InfoService.


  1. The term dependant includes your spouse, your common-law partner, your unmarried child or your spouse's unmarried child. Dependant status must be fully documented for the student to be eligible:
    • Spousal Status: A marriage license is required to verify spousal status.
    • Common-Law Status: An affidavit signed by both spouses, a lawyer, notary or commissioner confirming that they are living together in a conjugal relationship for not less than one year, or that they are living together in a conjugal relationship and are raising any children of whom they both are the natural or adoptive parent, is required to verify their common-law status.
    • Unmarried Child Status: To be eligible as an unmarried child, the dependant must be under age 22 and not a spouse or common-law partner when they begin their studies. An unmarried child can also be a person with a disability who has been financially supported substantially by his or her parents, and who is unable to be self-supporting because of the disability
  2. You are excluded from this category if you are:
    • A visitor hired as a graduate teaching or research assistant;
    • An international student holding a work permit to complete your CO-OP or internship employment or medical training (resident or clinical or research fellowship);
    • An international student holding a work permit for post-graduate work (usually for up to three years of work opportunities upon graduation);
    • An international student whose spouse or common-law partner has received a work permit as a result of the international student holding a valid Study Permit; or
    • An international student holding an Off-Campus Work Permit.
  3. Canada recognizes a person as a Convention refugee only after the second phase of the refugee claim assessment has been completed. You must also provide a letter from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) confirming that CIC has received your application for permanent resident status.

Tuition for international students

Tuition for international students applies to persons:

  • E.  Who do not belong to any of the groups described in ABC or D, or
  • F.  Who, despite belonging to one of the groups in ABC or D, have not submitted their supporting documents before the enrolment deadline. Proof of Citizenship or Permanent Status must be submitted by these deadlines, otherwise Foreign Student Fees will apply. No retroactive status changes will be made:
    • January 31 for the winter term;
    • June 30 for graduate students enrolled for the spring-summer term (May-August);
    • July 31 for graduate students enrolled for the summer session (July-August), as well as for undergraduate students enrolled during the spring-summer or summer terms; and
    • October 31 for the fall term.

Tuition for auditors

As of the winter 2017 term, auditors (see definition below) now pay a fixed fee of $100 per unit (credit) for each course taken. For example, a typical course of three units costs $300. If the student only takes courses as an auditor, incidental fees do not apply.

This concerns part-time undergraduate and graduate auditors in all programs with the exception of the Undergraduate Medical Education program.

Auditors: Persons who are enrolled for a course as either a regular or special student but are not required to complete work assignments or write exams and who will not receive units (credits) for the course.

Incidental fees

Incidental fees are non-refundable after the period for full refunds ends. For a full list, see either Incidental fees – Undergraduate or Incidental fees – Graduate.

Ancillary fees

Special ancillary fees may apply to specific courses and programs. For the full list, see Ancillary fees.

Guidelines for digital learning material

The University of Ottawa recently approved new guidelines on digital learning material used in courses. These guidelines are in line with the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities’ (MTCU) Tuition Fee Framework and Ancillary Fee Guidelines for Publicly-Assisted Universities 2013-14 to 2016-17. In this framework, MTCU now permits, under certain conditions, the universities to ask students to purchase digital learning material. 

Digital learning material can include access to databases, access to online learning resources and access to mobile clickers. Digital test/assessment tools can include simulation tools, online quizzes and online exercises.

Below are the University of Ottawa’s guidelines with regard to fees for digital learning materials.


The University of Ottawa recognizes that digital learning material can enhance the academic experience of students. At the same time, the University is conscious of the potential financial impact of such costs for students.

Therefore, and in accordance with MTCU guidelines, the University has developed the following guidelines for the fees related to digital learning materials. 

These guidelines are in effect as of September 2015. The University will monitor the use and implementation of these guidelines. Subsequently, in Summer 2016, an evaluation will be completed and potential amendments could be presented for approval.

  1. The instructors should use digital learning material that is already available to students at the University. When such digital learning material is not appropriate, the instructor may ask students to purchase digital learning material that become the property of the students, which can include test/assessment tools.
  2. Instructors may use digital test/assessment tools to assess student performance, if the weight of the total course grade associated to its use does not exceed 25%. Exceptionally, the instructor can obtain written approval from the Dean of the faculty offering the course should the weight exceed 25%.
  3. The total cost of the digital learning material for a course of 3 credits or less should not exceed $60. Exceptionally, the instructor can obtain written approval from the Dean of the faculty offering the course should the total cost exceed $60. 
  4. When the test/assessment tools are bundled with other learning material (such as a textbook), the instructor must provide an option for students to purchase the test/assessment tool separately. The above threshold of $60 applies to the stand-alone digital learning material only.
  5. If the above provisions are not satisfied, the use of digital learning material can be proposed to students, but the instructor must also offer a no-fee alternative to students. 
  6. It is expected that the course syllabus will indicate, if relevant:
    • the digital learning material (required or optional), including test/assessment tools,
    • the cost of such material,
    • the weight of the total course grade associated with the use of the test/assessment tools,
    • the details on how to obtain such material, and
    • the details on the no-fee alternative

Terms and conditions

Fee categories

Tuition fees are set according to two categories: full-time studies and part-time studies. For details and conditions, see Student classification below.

Student classification

Undergraduate students:

  • Full-time: Students enrolled for the equivalent of 12 or more units (credits) during a given term will be considered full-time students and must pay full-time university fees. For purposes of fee assessment and classification, courses taken as an auditor are not included in the student classification and special fees apply.
  • Part-time: Students enrolling for less than 12 units (credits) will be considered part-time students and must pay part-time tuition (on a per unit basis) and part-time incidental fees. Part-time fees in the case of non-credit (N/C) courses are determined according to the number of weekly hours of formal lectures or equivalent.

Graduate Studies:

Graduate students declare their classification when accepting their offer of admission. If they wish to modify their classification, they need to fill out the Modification / Cancellation of Enrolment (Graduate Studies) form (PDF) and submit it to the Graduate Studies Office of their faculty before the deadline published on the Important dates and deadlines page.

Fee amount and payment

Your tuition and incidental fees depend on your program of studies, on your legal status in Canada and on the number of units (credits) you are taking. You must have paid all of your fees before you attend your first class (see the Important academic dates and deadlines).

Cancellation and reinstatement of enrolment

Once you have your course selection approved, you must inform the University in writing if you decide not to attend the course, to drop a course or to withdraw for the term. Failure to notify will result in a grade of ABS (equivalent to an F). Your fees remain payable.

Also, if you inform the University in writing that you are withdrawing from a course or a program for the term and later want to be reinstated for the same term, you must submit a written request to the registrar.

Back to top