FoM Awards of Excellence
Call for nominations is now open: More info
Collins Surgical Day Awardees
- WE Collins Award for Best Research Presentation - Dr. Tori Lenet - Defining appropriate intraoperative patient blood management strategies in non-cardiac surgery: The Ottawa Intraoperative Transfusion Consensus
- Graeme Barber Award for Best Clinical Research Presentation – Dr. Julian Wang - Capacitive coupling in electrosurgery causes current loss with pinch burning
- John P Collins Award for Best Translational Research Presentation - Dr. Ryan Sandarage - Human spinal cord stem cells exhibit reduced oligodendrogenesis compared to rodents
- Best Education Research Presentation - Dr. Rajajee Selvam - Planetary Health Education For Residents – An Integrative Approach Through Quality Improvement
- Best Quality Improvement Research Presentation - Dr. Hilalion (San) Ahn - A scoping review: should tap water instead of sterile water be used for endoscopy of the colon and rectum?
- Medical Student -Kameela Alibhai - ‘Why didn’t you call me?’: Factors junior learners consider when deciding whether to call their supervisor
- Best Posters
- Dr. Jeremy (King Hei) Lee - Equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) in underrepresented in medicine (URiM) residents: where are we and what now?
- Dr. Jacob Hardy - Retrospective evaluation of outcomes of patients with closed phalangeal or metacarpal fractures treated with permanent hardware fixation in an ambulatory clinic setting
- Dr. Diego Daniel Pereira - Assessing the quality of reporting on quality improvement initiatives in plastic surgery – A systematic review
Research Half Day: Research Excellence Awards and Wolves' Den
- 2022 Wolves’ Den Grant went to Dr. Simon Garceau for Routine Psycho-Periprosthetic Joint Infection Care: A Multidisciplinary Care Model.
- The 2022 Researcher of the Year was Dr. George Grammatopoulos.
- Dr. Donna Maziak was named Research Mentor of the Year.
David Yachnin (Urology) was named Research Personnel of the Year.
DoS Grant Competitions 2023: Congratulations to the winners
Research Program Awards
• Is oncoplastic breast surgery a better alternative to mastectomy with immediate reconstruction? A prospective cohort study comparing the clinical and patient-reported outcomes – Dr. Jing Zhang
• Virtual Reality 3D modelling of complex sarcomas for enhanced surgical planning and patient experience – Dr. Joel Werier
• Revisiting Value and Efficacy (REVIVE) A Quality Improvement Initiative in Arthroscopic Cuff Repair – Dr. Peter Lapner
Junior Faculty Research Grants
• The concepts of equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) in trauma training programs in Canada: A qualitative study – Dr. Nada Gawad
• Phase 2 trial evaluating a novel fractionated CO2 laser in the treatment of chronic phase Peyronie’s disease. – Dr. Luke Witherspoon
Surgical Seed Grants
• Optimizing Post-Operative Recovery: A Quality Improvement Program for Same Day Discharge After Pulmonary Wedge Resections – Dr. James Villeneuve
• Investigating the feasibility of utilizing bacteriophages as a novel diagnostic platform for the rapid detection of slow growing organisms causing implant-associated infections – Dr. Hesham Abdelbary
Resident Research Grants
• Comparison of BioLIFT vs LIFT for the treatment of trans-sphincteric anal fistula: a systematic review and meta-analysis – Dr. Richard Hu
• Surgeon Variability in Oncologic and Patient Reported Outcomes in Radical Prostatectomy – Dr. Ameeta Nayak