Hosted by Neurosurgery: The Dr Michael T Richard Visiting Professor in Neurosurgery Presents: "Development of a Neurotrauma Program; From Bench to Bedside" - Friday, January 27, 2023 - 7:00 AM to 8:00 AM Microsoft Teams
FoM Awards of Excellence
Congratulations to Dr. Rodney Breau - FoM Clinical Researcher of the Year 2022
DoS Recognition Awards
- Congratulations to those recognized in 2022:
- Above and Beyond the Call Award: Dr. Kevin Smit
- Resident and Fellow Award: Dr. Peter Vo
- Administrative Assistant Recognition Award: Norma MacLean
- Professionalism Collegiality Award: Dr. Tim Brandys
DoS Office of Education is on Twitter
Twitter handle is @OfficeEdSurgery, and from there you will find links to their YouTube Channel.
Visit to see their EPA tips.
Research Half Day: Research Excellence Awards and Wolves' Den - December 8, 2022
- The 6th Annual Department of Surgery Research Half Day took place on December 8, 2022. The theme was mentorship and investigated options for the departmental mentorship program.
- Dr. Vince Chan chaired a dynamic session, which included an overview of the experiences of both mentors and mentees among the DoS surgeons, trainees, and non-clinical, presented by Dr. Jennifer Artz. Dr. Sasha Carsen discussed the CHEO RI experience in their development of a research mentorship program. Lianne Laing (Heart Institute Foundation Executive Director) shared her personal experience with mentors, as a competitive gymnast, sports anchor, and morning show host. Dr. Paul Hendry presented the resources and some of the mentorship best practices being promoted by the uOttawa Faculty of Medicine.
- The 2022 Wolves’ Den Grant (the Department of Surgery’s live grant competition) opened with Dr. Geoffrey Wilkin (last year’s winner) presenting the results of his project on bacteriophage therapy in fracture-related infections. This year’s competition was an intense battle (with Drs. Geoffrey Wilkin, Dr. Eve Tsai, Dr. Jing Zhang, and Dr. Rodney Breau serving as the DoS Wolves), but the 2022 Wolves’ Den Grant was ultimately awarded to Dr. Simon Garceau for his project entitled: Routine Psycho-Periprosthetic Joint Infection Care: A Multidisciplinary Care Model.
- The 2022 Researcher of the Year was Dr. George Grammatopoulos.
- Dr. Donna Maziak was named Research Mentor of the Year.
David Yachnin (Urology) was named Research Personnel of the Year.
DoS Grant Competitions 2023
We welcome all DoS faculty members and trainees (for the resident research grants only) to submit proposals to the 2023 competitions. All of the info is on the DoS website here:
Please select the appropriate category for your project and career stage. Note that you can submit different projects to different competitions, but only one grant will be awarded per person per year. You may not be awarded the same grant two years in a row.
- Research Program Awards ($120k - Matching funds required)
- Big Data Grants ($25k - Matching funds required)
- Surgical Seed Grants ($25k)
- Junior Faculty Grants ($25k)
- Resident Research Grants ($5k)
- Deadline: February 6, 2023