Key features of the course
Interactive self-assessments tools
Interactive online surveys and screening tools are an integral part of each lecture. These brief self-assessment tools allow students to identify their personal strengths, learning habits, and potential mental health difficulties.
Acquisition of practical learning skills.
Lectures and readings are supplemented with practical exercises to help students acquire the necessary learning and time management skills that can lead to better grades. In fact, 90% of students said that they did better in their other classes after taking this course. And 75% of students said they continued to use most of the skills they learned long after finishing the course
Habit building exercises
With the help of online tools, students practice building and maintaining a range of mental health and learning habits (e.g., relaxation breathing, scheduling).
Step-by-step tutorials on how to write a paper (i.e, choose a topic, organize ideas, write the first draft, edit the final version).
Option to retake exams and rewrite assignments.
Students can opt to retake their exams and rewrite their paper in order to improve their grades in the course
The list of topics and lectures
- The science of happiness and success
- Five pillars of the good life
- How to take notes fast and efficiently
- How sleep can hinder and enhance performance
- Scheduling: The art of making it all fit
- Active recall: How to beat the forgetting curve
- Knowing and using your character strengths
- Challenging doubt, worry & negative thoughts
- Relaxation breathing & mindfulness on demand
- How to do well on tests & write great papers
- How to set and achieve your goals
- Turning setback and failure into success
- Building grit and perseverance
- Dealing with procrastination and boredom
- Mental illness: Are you at the tipping point?
- Knowing how and when to ask for help
- The surprising benefit of saying how you feel
- Fulfilling your unmet needs
- How to make and keep friends
- Managing the expectations of others :
- Enhancing relationships
- Knowing how to make and keep friends
- Dealing with unfairness and discrimination
What students said about the course
“I've been getting good grades because of the skills learned. And I've been having less stress.”
“Everything about the course helped me prepare for the university -- taking notes, scheduling, using the Pomodoro technique to manage time, etc. I really recommend this class to any student.”
“I have been able to apply the skills to other classes and have been able to use the skills on fact-checking and mindfulness in other situations that cause me anxiety outside of class and exams.”
“Being able to redo assignments and tests gave me the opportunity to really learn how to do my best.”
“I definitely think this is my favourite class so far, in terms of how organized and confident I feel. The material is extremely helpful for everyday life and the speed that we are moving at is perfect to me.”