- Phonétique appliquée à la réduction de l'accent
- Capacité de la communication orale- Enseignement et évaluation
- Évaluation des capacités productives.
Members of the media may directly contact the following experts of OLBI!
Language Teacher, III (ESL), tenured (1992)
MEd, University of Ottawa
BEd, University of Ottawa
Honours BA Linguistics, University of Ottawa.
ESL Parts 1 and 2, FSL Part 1, Special Education Part 1
Room: 70 Laurier Avenue East, Room 110
Bureau: 613-562-5800 ext. 1575
Work E-mail: [email protected]
Fields of interest
Jennifer St. John began her career teaching English as a second language at the University of Ottawa as a Teaching Assistant within the non-credit English Intensive Program in 1981 and as a Teacher in 1984. At this time, she also taught ESL with the CCDSB, the Bank of Canada and the Canada Council for the Arts. In 1988, Jennifer was hired in a tenure-track position with the Second Language Institute (now OLBI) and in the 1990s focussed her research activities in the areas of test development and specifically, the evaluation of oral communication skills; positions held include consultant on the advisory panel of experts for the Test of Spoken English (ETS - Princeton, NJ), Interim Director of the CanTEST/TESTCan Project, and materials developer and oral interview trainer on the Crown Corporations Language Test project.
Jennifer’s current research activities include (1) the exploration of effective pedagogical tools and best practices for the teaching of pronunciation and oral communication skills and (2) preliminary research on needs and issues of International students in business administration programs (with M. Toews-Janzen).
Recent administrative positions
- Coordinator, Undergraduate Studies, Second Language Institute, (2002 - 2004)
- Program Coordinator, Second Languages, UCDSB, (2005)
- Coordinator, Second Language Teaching Program (DLS), (2006-2007)
- Assistant Director (Administration), OLBI, (2008 – 2011)
- Director, Undergraduate Studies, OLBI, (2011-2014)
- Interim Assistant Director, OLBI, (2015-2016)
- SL1112 Oral and Written Communication in ESL. Elementary Level II
- ESL2112 Oral and Written Communication in ESL. Intermediate Level III
- ESL2113 English Grammar of Second Language Learners. Intermediate Level I
- ESL2121 Reading and Writing Skills for Second Language Learners: Low Advanced
- ESL2122 Listening and Speaking Skills for Second Language Learners: Low Advanced
- ESL2372 English Pronunciation for Effective Oral Communication
- ESL2351 Advanced Oral Communication Skills for Second Language Speakers
- ESL2361 Advanced Writing Skills for Second Language Learners
- ESL3351 Oral Expression for Academic and Professional Contexts
- DLS3110 Teaching Grammar
PAPERS IN REFEREED JOURNALS:
St.John, J. Round Table Summary Challenges for French Immersion in Canada: Pedagogy and Policy. Journal de l’Immersion Journal. Vol. 31. No. 3. Automne 2009, 12-15
St.John, J. E-Portfolios for Fostering Autonomy in Pronunciation. TESL Ottawa Winter Event, February 2016. Invited Speaker
St.John, J. E-Portfolios to Foster Autonomy in Pronunciation. TESL Ontario Conference, Toronto, Ont., November 2015.
St. John, J. Personal Pronunciation Profiles through E-Portfolios TESL Canada Conference, Lake Louise, Alta., October 2015
St.John, J. Using E-portfolios for Personal Pronunciation Profiles. CALL-IS Electronic Village. TESOL Conference, Toronto, Ont. March 2015
St.John, J. Predict, Confirm, Produce: Lessons in Pronunciation. TESL Canada Conference, Regina, Sask., May 2014
J.St.John and C. Danforth. The Glossary Project: Promoting Learner Autonomy in Pronunciation. CCERBAL Conference, April 2014
Danforth C and J.St.John. The Glossary Project: An Assessment Tool. 3rd International Conference on Second Language Pedagogies, University of Toronto (Miss). Feb. 2014
St.John, J. Predict, Confirm, Produce: Lessons in Pronunciation. TESL Ontario Conference, Toronto, November 2013 – Invited Webcast Presentation
Anish, F et al. Get Ready for IELTS. Pre-intermeditae to Intermediate. IELTS Band3.5-4.5. IATEFL Voices Newsletter, Issue 250:9, May-June 2016
Morrison, B. and D. Navarro. The Autonomy Approach. Language Learning in the classroom and beyond. IATEFL Voices Newsletter, Issue 246:15, Sept.- October 2015.
Brown, H.D. Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy. IATEFL Voices Newsletter, Issue 244:15, May-June 2, 2015
Hockly, N. and G. Dudeney Going Mobile. Teaching with hand-held devices. IATEFL Voices Newsletter, Issue 243:19, March - April 2015
Knowles, B. When Vowels Get Together. IATEFL Voices Newsletter, Issue 241:18, November-December 2014
Scanlon J. and J. C. Santamaria Q: Skills for Success 1 Listening and Speaking/ S. Lynn and L. Lawson, Q: Skills for Success 1 Reading and Writing. TESL Canada Journal, 30 (2): 85-87, 2013