Play a part in the success of your peers!
Student Mentors - Faculty of Social Sciences Student Experience Centre
Share your knowledge, make a difference, and support your peers. Join our team!
Summary of duties
Student mentors accompany newly admitted students as they adjust to university life. They also meet with 2nd, 3rd and 4th year students from the Faculty in both individual and group settings in order to help them during their studies at university. Mentors help fellow students to develop effective learning strategies and study methods, to adopt work habits that favour academic, personal and professional success, and to become familiar with University rules and practices. Mentors not only help students to better define their goals, but also assist them in making use of the services provided by the Faculty and the University in order to reach their potential and better adjust to university life.
Note: The Student Mentor position does not involve tutoring in any discipline taught at the Faculty of Social Sciences.
- Is bilingual; fluent in speaking and writing in both official languages (English / French)
- Registered full-time in second year or higher, with a strong academic record
- Is knowledgeable about the campus, its faculties and services
- Possess strong communication, organization and leadership skills
- Is capable of working independently and as part of a team
- Is interested in helping others; must be empathetic to students needs
- Demonstrates a strong sense of discretion and professionalism
- Accepted by the
- Previous experience as a group facilitator (considered an asset)