Monthly Writing Days
Back to business as usual this fall... we hope!
Every month, we transform 30 Stewart into a writing space with tables, chairs, electric outlets to plug in laptops, offer coffee, tea and soft drinks for the day, as well as lunch!
You arrive between 9am and 9.30am to spend the day writing without interruptions. The room is open until 6pm. You are required to attend from 9.30am to 3.30pm as a minimum. Please do not register if you can't attend for at least this time period.
There will be a 45-minute lunch break with your colleagues to share on your research projects and your writing activities, as well as making new relationships with them.
This workshop will be facilitated by
Centre for Academic Leadership
Inspired by Barbara Grant’s article "Writing in the company of women: exceeding the boundaries" (2006, Studies in Higher Education), the Centre for Academic Leadership offers writing opportunities for the University of Ottawa’s professors since October 2010.
- “I was able to focus on a large task that needed a great deal of focused time. I was motivated by those around me and that kept me driven to keep going. I was also able to tackle a few smaller projects that always get pushed down on the To Do List.”
- “There is absolutely no question that I was more productive during these five days away than I would have been during an equivalent amount of time at my office in Ottawa.”
- “… the ongoing benefits of the retreat: First, this time firmly reoriented me from primarily a teacher to primarily a writer, and I have come back renewed and excited about my summer projects – and committed to finding time to work on them! Second, the sense of mutual support that was created amongst the participants helped ease the isolation that can sometimes accompany writing and created a sense of community which continues. Third, the practical career advice and writing tips offered by my senior colleagues over meals and during early-morning runs were precious and it was fantastic to continue conversations over days instead of minutes. Fourth, hearing about the work and processes of other women was incredibly inspiring, and gave me ideas for my own future projects. I could go on…the point I wish to emphasis is that the writing retreat provided more than simply five days in which I got a lot done. It was fruitful, motivating, and inspiring, and it created a sense of community that is,for some of us, invaluable to our happiness and productivity.”
- “The retreat experience reminded me in a very proactive way that writing can be enjoyable when shared with a group of women & now on my own in my office.”
- “Every time I felt like getting up or checking my email, I felt motivated to just keep writing.I wrote more today than I thought possible.”
- “It has helped me focus in a space without office or home-based distractions.”
- “I was motivated to prepare for the retreat so I did a lot of work to get my project up to date to be able to spend a day writing it up.I feel like I made a lot of progress.”
- "I've submitted three articles as a result of the writing days so far this year"
- "This is a supportive and encouraging environment. There is a subtle peer pressure to keep active. Time for re-energizing activities and looking after yourself (balance) is encouraged... Blockages are often overcome by a quick conversation with someone else."
- “It was enormously helpful to see the scholars work with concentration and dedication. I would not have accomplished as much at home alone."
- « J’ai dépassé mes objectifs.»
- « Conditions optimales pour rédiger, en favorisant aussi le partage d’informations utiles avec des collègues. »
- « ... permet de rester complètement concentrée sur le travail à faire. »
- « Le fait de travailler ensemble dans une grande salle était très stimulant. Le fait de savoir que nous allions faire un tour de table au repas pour dire aux autres ce que nous avions accompli était une motivation incroyable. »
- « Lorsqu’on a les conditions idéales (temps + repas préparés + repos)… écrire devient très plaisant et non pas une corvée. »
- « Non seulement j'ai écris plus, mes collèges ont partagé des stratégies qui ont augmenté mon efficacité. Le syndrome de la page blanche est de courte durée dans un contexte comme celui-ci.»
- « La production augmente lorsqu’on travaille dans un contexte sans distraction mais entourée de personnes productives. »
Dates and Location
|Sept 15 2021||All Day|
|Oct 14 2021||All Day|
|Nov 25 2021||All Day|
|Dec 15 2021||All Day|
|Jan 29 2022||All Day|
|Mar 24 2022||All Day|
|Avr 20 2022||All Day|
*All workshops are currently taken place over Teams or Zoom*
All University of Ottawa full-time professors (tenured or tenure-track).