An N95 mask is a respiratory protective device used by health care professionals to protect the wearer from particles or liquid contaminating the face. The edges of the mask form a seal around your nose and mouth.
To ensure that you’re wearing the correct mask size, you must be fitted for an N95 mask every two years. You can obtain a mask fitting one of the following ways:
- Attending one of the mask fitting clinics organized during the academic year. We’ll send details to your University of Ottawa email once the dates have been confirmed.
- Booking a mask fitting session directly with Levitt Safety by calling 613-225-9550.
For your program requirements concerning N95 masks please check your Program clinical requirements and deadlines.
Although we make every effort to ensure you’re only fitted for a mask once every two years, there may be cases where you may need to be fitted more often (due to masks being out of stock, not available in your clinical setting or expired). In this case, it is your responsibility to ensure that you are fitted for a size that is available at your clinical setting as well as cover the cost.
For the mask sizes currently available at most of our clinical placement agencies, see our N95 respirator availability chart. If there’s no check mark confirming that your current mask size is available at your clinical placement location, you must get fitted again.
- Masks are included in the adjustment fee charged at the fitting - you don’t have to buy a mask in advance.
- If you experience significant facial changes (size, shape, etc.), you must be fitted for a new mask.
- Wear little or no makeup for the mask fitting.
- Facial hair must be removed prior to fitting to ensure a proper fit (ensure seal).
- Different host institutions may carry different stocks of N95 masks. If your host institution does not carry your N95 mask size, you must be refitted to wear a size carried by your host institution.
*If you are a student at the Pembroke campus, you’ll be fitted for an N95 mask through your Health Services department. For more information, please contact Lori Lush-Taylor at [email protected] or at 613-735-4700, ext. 2639.