Questions to ask after the meeting with a potential supervisor
Back to top
- Does the thesis topic seem of interest to this professor?
- Does this professor’s theoretical and philosophical approaches seem sufficiently compatible with the student's own?
- Is it easy to communicate freely with this person?
- Does the available laboratory space and the lab environment suit the research's needs?
- What financial support could be received through grants or contracts administered by this professor?
- Will there be opportunities to participate in conferences, and to prepare publications and grant applications?
- Does the student agrees on how independently he or she will be working, or how close a collaboration there will be on thesis direction and content?
- How often can the student expect to meet with the supervisor?
- How much time will this professor need to give feedback on ideas and draft chapters?
- Will this professor be available during the time needed to prepare the thesis?