Share the impact of your research through the uOGRADFlix competition
Take up the challenge of the uOGRADflix competition: present your research and its importance by creating an original 60-second video!
Demonstrate your communication skills and compete alongside other graduate researchers by enhancing your ability to present your research to a non-specialist audience.
The uOGRADflix competition will allow you to:
- Stand out from others and promote your research: a video is an accessible promotional tool for you and your research that’s easy to share.
- Develop your communication skills to successfully reach non-specialist audiences.
- Explain a complex idea using the "elevator pitch" method.
- Expand your network: add the video to your LinkedIn profile or your resume to engage with others in your field of work.
- Network with other students, judges, and faculty members during the live showcase event.
- Apply the skills you learn through this competition to your teaching.
Finalists will be announced on October 18 and will participate in the uOGRADflix live showcase event on October 21, 2021, during which winners will be selected. The public will be able to vote for the People’s Choice Award. Winners will be awarded a monetary prize and have the opportunity to become a research ambassador for the University of Ottawa.
In celebration of research
uOGRADflix is a way for the University of Ottawa to proudly recognizes the amazing research done by its graduate students. The GRADflix concept was developed by the University of Waterloo in 2018. The University of Ottawa is thankful to have obtained the permission to reproduce the concept and use the content of the University of Waterloo.
How to participate in the uOGRADflix Competition?
- Familiarize yourself with the eligibility and rules.
- Complete and submit the online uOGRADflix Participant Registration Form by September 30, 2021, agreeing to the terms and conditions. You need to include:
- a good quality portrait or headshot photo; and,
- a short biography of approximately 60-100 words: this may include past degrees, research areas or interests, current program, research labs, interests or hobbies outside of research, etc. and we also encourage you to add some fun facts about yourself (e.g. your pets, favourite food or music, etc.)
- Attend one of the drop-in sessions (optional). Staff will be on hand to provide feedback and to answer questions about video best practices.
- Send the required material via wetransfer.com, using this email glaberg3@uOttawa.ca, by September 30, 2021, at 9 a.m. EST.
- video (saved as an MP4;720 p or higher). The title of the file should be uOGRADflix_name. For example: uOGRADflix_christyneauger.
- closed captions for the video.
- Attend the virtual showcase or assign a delegate who can accept the prize on your behalf.
If you have any questions about submission requirements, please send us an email.
Register to participate in uOGRADflix
Register for the 2021 uOGRADflix Competition before September 30, 2021. You will have until September 30 to submit your video.