Senate Committee on Teaching and Teaching Evaluation
Recommendation approved by the Senate - October 1997
"The Senate Committee on Teaching and Teaching Evaluation recommends that all the University of Ottawa courses involving at least nine contact hours with the same professor should be evaluated by the students, regardless of the number of students and the teaching method used. Evaluations should be done on the officially recognized form; however, if this form is not convenient for the type of evaluation, a new form should be designed."
Terms of Reference
The Senate Committee on Teaching and Teaching Evaluation is a standing advisory committee of the Senate. It reports to the Executive Committee of the Senate and advises the Senate on all aspects of teaching.
Terms of Reference
- To promote teaching and learning excellence in all its forms as well as the importance and the innovative character of teaching at the University.
- To implement initiatives that influences the quality of professors’ teaching experience at the University (tools, practices, environment and policies).
- To administer the Teaching and Learning Grants Program and the Special Grants Program for Innovative Pedagogical Material in French.
- To implement strategies to ensure appropriate recognition of excellence in teaching during an academic career.
- To oversee maintenance and development of tools that enable students to provide their input on the quality of teaching.
- To ensure the development of evaluation tools that take into account the different types of teaching and the academic support offered at the University of Ottawa.
- To facilitate and promote communication with the entire academic community to better meet its evaluation needs.
- To ensure that evaluation is promoted to students and professors.
- To submit an annual activity report to the University Senate.
The members of the Senate Committee on Teaching and Teaching Evaluation are:
- the Vice-Provost, Academic Affairs
- one full-time faculty member of each faculty, preferably member of the graduate and postdoctoral studies, recommended by the Provost and Vice-President, Academic Affairs and appointed by the Executive Committee of the Senate
- two part-time faculty members who teach at least one course each year of their term, one from humanities and one from sciences, recommended by the Provost and Vice-President, Academic Affairs and appointed by the Executive Committee of the Senate
- two undergraduate students appointed by the Executive Committee of the Senate among the candidates presented by a nominating committee made up of the undergraduate student senators and a member of the executive committee of the University of Ottawa’s Student Union (UOSU).
- two graduate students appointed by the Executive Committee of the Senate among the candidates presented by a nominating committee made up of the graduate student senators and a member of the Executive of the Graduate Students’ Association of the University of Ottawa (GSAÉD).
The Committee may invite other people to its meetings for consultation purposes.
Terms of Office
Terms of office are for a three-year period and are renewable.
Any appointed member who fails to attend three consecutive meetings without prior notice or a valid reason is deemed to have resigned.
The Vice-Provost, Academic Affairs is the chairperson of the Committee.
The Senate Committee on Teaching and Teaching Evaluation meets at least four times a year, upon request of the chair.
A majority of the members constitutes the quorum.
Secretarial services are provided by the Coordinator, Evaluation of Programs and Courses from the Office of the Provost and Vice-President, Academic Affairs.
- Aline Germain-Rutherford (president)
Vice-Provost, Academic Affairs
- Graciela Dancose (secretarial services)
Coordinator, Evaluation of Programs and Courses
- Ali Abbas
- Christopher Gunter
- Elena Ilina
- Wadid Lamine
Telfer School of Management
- John Leddy
- Jena McGill
- Colin Montpetit
- Eileen O'Connor
- David Robitaille
- Kathleen Rodgers
- David Trumpower
- Marcel Turcotte
- Bryce Bogie
- Daniel Chow
- Hanisa Rahbari
- Alisha Szozda