About to graduate? You’ve nearly made it!

Before you can receive your degree, there are a few things to keep in mind.

First of all, you must register in order to receive your degree, whether or not you are attending your Convocation ceremony. For information on how to register, choose your student category below.

Student categories

Choose your profile:

Evaluating whether you are eligible to graduate

At the beginning of your final term at the University of Ottawa, an automatic evaluation of your file is conducted to determine if you are eligible to graduate. If you are, you will receive an email to your @uOttawa.ca address with instructions on how to register.

Once you’ve registered, your faculty will analyze your file in greater depth to confirm that you meet your program requirements. Once you’ve successfully completed them, your name is submitted to the Senate to be confirmed for graduation. If for some reason your degree is not granted at this time, you must resubmit the form to register for the next Convocation.

If you have an amount owing on your uOttawa account
InformationIf you have an amount owing on your University of Ottawa account (anything from a library fine to tuition fees), you will not be able to participate in the Convocation ceremony nor will you receive diplomas, certificates, transcripts or enrolment verification documents (statements of studies, statements of degrees conferred).

Name change request

  • Make sure your personal information is correct by clicking Personal Information in uoZone. Your personal data will be displayed as it currently appears in uoCampus, the student information system. Your name on the screen (your “primary name”) is the one that appears on your official documents, such as your diploma and transcripts.
  • To change your primary name, go to InfoService and submit a Request for Name Change form, along with the supporting documents listed on the form.
  • For your name change request to be processed before your diploma is printed, you must submit your form by March 31 (to graduate in the spring), by early September (to graduate in the fall) or by November 25 (for those whose degree will be conferred in December).
  • If you have recently gone to InfoService to make a name change request, it may take up to two weeks before the change appears.


The diploma you receive may come with one of the following citations, depending on your grade point average. Citations appear only on undergraduate diplomas and transcripts.

  • Summa cum laude — with highest honour
  • Magna cum laude — with great honour
  • Cum laude — with honour
Back to top