The Development Office raises funds in support of the University's priorities. These funds are primarily philanthropic donations from individuals, corporations, foundations, sponsorships and research support for specific projects.
The Development team works with faculties, services and programs to identify opportunities where donors can be instrumental in enhancing the University's programs, research and student support.
To ensure philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the University of Ottawa, we declare that all donors have the following rights:
- To be informed of the University of Ottawa's mission, of the way it intends to use donated resources and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purpose.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the University of Ottawa's Board of Governors and to expect the Board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the University of Ottawa's most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts to the University of Ottawa will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition from the University of Ottawa.
- To be assured that information about their donations to the University of Ottawa is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing the University of Ottawa will be handled in a professional fashion.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the University of Ottawa or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that the Development Office at the University of Ottawa may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation to the University of Ottawa and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
Adapted from a document developed by the American Association of Fund-Raising Counsel (AAFRC), the Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP), the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) and the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), and adopted in November 1993.