As of September 2020, a membership fee is applied to each principal investigator requesting access to the INSPIRE core facility services, which includes the following: ISPR student pool, ISPR community pool, Qualtrics, physical testing space, and support from the INSPIRE Lab research assistants. This fee is charged once per year to principal investigators and provides access to all our services to students or researchers working under the supervision of the principal investigator. Principal investigators using the INSPIRE Lab are responsible for dispersing the funds to disposable materials (e.g., electrodes, gel, swabs, etc.) if applicable. They are also responsible for all programming costs should they choose to hire a programmer to organize stimulus presentation and data collection.
Study qualifications (3 steps)
To use our recruitment pools and our laboratory spaces, your project must have received a certificate of ethical approval from the University of Ottawa Research and Ethics Board. For more information regarding your project ethics, visit our .
For in-person research, we strongly encourage you to organize a time to pilot your project in the lab space with one of our research assistants before you start data collection. After completing steps 1 and 2, please send a request to book your pilot appointment .
The ISPR student pool program allows you to advertise your study to students enrolled in participating undergraduate courses. In this mutually beneficial program, the students are rewarded for their research efforts via course credits while your research benefits from a large undergraduate population.
The ISPR community pool program allows researchers to advertise their research to a more diverse pool of participants. Additionally, both the ISPR student and community pool services allow you to recruit individuals based on your unique pre-screen questions. To learn more about these services, visit the or page.
To learn more about the INSPIRE services such as Qualtrics, software, and training services we offer, please visit our Resources page.
To explore the large selection of physical testing spaces and equipment that INSPIRE offers please visit the “Discover the lab” page.
Researchers conducting studies on community members can reserve one of our two parking space (lot K) for their research participants. Researchers can request their parking timeslots through . Once one of our research assistants approves your request, you can stop by our office (Vanier 5074) during office hours (Monday to Friday, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM) to pick up the parking pass for your participant.
Our parking spaces are located in lot K and are accessible.
Booking our laboratory space
- Log into your Infinity account by visiting and entering your usual uOttawa credentials.
- On the Lab Access page, under “Lab Name”, search for the name of your PI and click “Request Access”. If you cannot find the name of your PI, or if you are the PI, click “Add new lab” and follow the instructions.
- On the Facility Access page, request access to INSPIRE. Your status should change to “Waiting for approval”.
- On the Instrument Access page, please verify that your permission status is “Approved” for all instruments. If not, please request access to the room(s) you intend on reserving.
- Click “Instruments” on the top bar menu.
To create a new booking, find the room or parking space you wish to reserve and click on a timeslot under this instrument.
In the “Create appointment” box, please specify the start and end times of your reservation, the name of your lab/PI, and the account code which you wish to charge.
Under “Session type”, select “Unsupervised”. Click “Save”.
Once you have submitted the booking request, it will be approved by one of our team members.
Tip for successful research at INSPIRE
For optimal success of your research, we encourage you to review the following resources:
For all first time INSPIRE users and researchers, we recommend booking an appointment with one of our research assistants to go over the set-up of your study. Virtual or in-person appointments can be booked via email at or . Our team of assistants is available from Monday to Friday during regular business hours, from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. For more questions regarding training, visit our page.
- For in person research using the physical INSPIRE laboratory, we strongly recommend that you visit our or .
- Are you preparing a new research project? We recommend that you explore our online resources as you design your study. Our programs such as Qualtrics can allow for easy and robust survey distribution. To learn more, go to our page.
- We recommend that you frequently check the page or for up-to-date information regarding our various services.