- Font: Times New Roman 12
- Spacing: Single-spaced
- Number of words: 1000 words maximum (4 pages)
- Margins: 2 cm minimum
Keep in mind that a PhD is about honing your key research interests and producing your own unique ideas.
Your letter must be clear, concise, precise and structured, and must include the following:
- Talk about your motivation to pursue graduate studies in education by connecting your research interests to your potential career.
- Describe the problem or question you are interested in.
- Describe what your proposed research will focus on, how you will study it, what you hope to learn and what your contribution will be. Be detailed and specific.
- Explain why this research is important by outlining your research objectives.
- Situate your research in a specific context.Highlight the related literature. Show how your research is relevant and original and how it will contribute to the field of education.
- Explain your methodology, theoretical approach and framework.
- Summarize the assets that make you a qualified PhD candidate, one well suited to researching your proposed topic.
- Briefly summarize and emphasize your goals and purpose.
- Link your experience, current interests and goals.
- Restate what you expect from the program and the Faculty and how you will contribute to the academic and scholarly community.
A letter of intent is also required for a selection of Master programs. The requirements for a letter of intent for the Master programs are different from the ones for a PhD letter of intent. Find our what are the requirements for the .