By Linda Scales
In light of their election on October 19, 2015, some 15 uOttawa alumni, one faculty member and one recipient of an honorary doctorate, will take up their seats in Parliament. And the University of Ottawa couldn’t be prouder of every one of them!
One of the re-elected is the Speaker of the House of Commons, the Honourable Andrew Scheer, (BA ’08), who will be in this position until December 2, 2015. He graduated from the University in 2008 with a bachelor’s degree in history and political science. In 2011, all members of Parliament participated in a secret ballot, and chose him to be Speaker. At age 36, he is the youngest Speaker of the House in Canadian history.
What’s more, three other MPs with ties to uOttawa have been appointed to Cabinet:
The Honourable Carla Qualtrough, who has been named Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities, is a 1993 political science graduate. Qualtrough is a lawyer, volunteer, and athlete who has been visually impaired since birth. She has won three Paralympic and four World Championship medals in swimming.
Canada’s new Minister of Health, the Honourable Dr. Jane Philpott, completed her family medicine residency training at the University of Ottawa between 1984 and 1986. In addition to being a family physician, Philpott practiced medicine in Niger, West Africa, for close to ten years.
A recipient of an honorary doctorate from the University of Ottawa in 1997, the Honourable Marc Garneau is the new Minister of Transport. In 1984, Garneau made history when he became the first Canadian astronaut to go into outer space as a NASA space shuttle mission crew member.
Complete list of Parliamentarian Alumni
- Angelo G. Iacona, MP (LLB '00)
- The Honourable Maxime Bernier, MP (LLL '88)
- The Honourable Denis Paradis, MP (BCom '70 and '75 LLL)
- Greg Fergus, MP (BSocSc '92)
- Guy Caron, MP (BA '92)
- Francis Drouin, MP (BCom '14)
- The Honourable Dr. Jane Philpott, MP (Family Medicine Residency '86) - Minister of Health
- Anthony Rota, MP (MBA '99)
- Andrew Leslie, MP (BSocSc '80)
- David McGuinty, MP (BA LLB '86 and '88)
- The Honourable Mauril Bélanger, MP (BA '76)
- Paul Lefebvre, MP (LLB '99)
- Ahmed Hussen, MP (JD '11)
- The Honourable Andrew Scheer, MP (BA '08) - Speaker of the House of Commons
- The Honourable Carla Qualtrough MP (BSocSc '93) - Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities
And in addition to our alumni…
- William Amos, MP - Director and Staff Lawyer for Ecojustice (on leave) and Professor, Faculty of Common Law
- The Honourable Marc Garneau, MP (Honorary Doctorate '97) - Minister of Transport