students discussing over a laptop

Graduate academic support

You will find below some resources if you have questions or need support regarding your academic path (course success, thesis writing, research, etc.).

Academic path: who should I contact?

If you need help with… 

  • Research paper or thesis (e.g., advice on which seminars to attend based on your research topic, ethics review and approval, writing resources, writing steps, etc.)  

  • Expectations related to academic standing in writing your dissertation or thesis 

  • Possibility of transferring to a doctoral program 

We advise you to contact your research paper or thesis supervisor directly. 

If you need help with… 

  • Advice on academic path and program requirements 

  • Supervision problems 

  • Advice on scholarships and funding

  • Course registration/dropout

  • Obtaining your degree

  • Student status

  • Other administrative issues

The staff or department to contact may vary depending on your faculty: 

  • In some faculties, the Director (or Chair) of Graduate Studies of your academic unit may provide support on program requirements and supervision issues, while the Graduate Studies Office or administrative staff in your academic unit will support you on administrative issues (such as course registration, student status, etc.).
  • In other faculties, the Graduate Studies Office will be the primary resource for all these concerns.

For more information on who to contact, please visit your faculty's graduate academic support page: 

Difficulty in a course, workshop or seminar

You can contact the professor offering the course, workshop or seminar if you are experiencing difficulty such as: 

  • Grade review 

  • Difficulty understanding the course material

  • Course requirements

  • Evaluations 

Faculty members are here to support you in the courses they teach, answer your questions, and direct you to resources for help. 

Writing help

One of the biggest challenges for graduate students is writing! The University offers several resources that can help you: 

  • Library - Research help: The Library offers more than just book borrowing! Its staff can help you with your research project and share tools and strategies that will be useful throughout your academic career.

  • Need help with citing your sources? Check out the student resources for academic integrity.

  • Meet a mentor from the Academic Writing Help Centre (AWHC).

  • Visit your faculty's website: they may offer writing activities for their own graduate students. 

Other problem of academic nature

If your problem has not been resolved by consulting the options offered (e.g. talking to your research paper or thesis supervisor, talking to your professor, consulting an academic resource, reaching out to the Graduate Studies Office of your faculty or to your academic unit, etc.), you can follow the steps below.

N.B. This process may differ from one faculty to another. For more details, please refer to your academic unit or faculty. 

Steps to problem-solving

Step 1:

Contact the Director of Graduate Studies (or equivalent position) of your academic unit. 

Step 2:

Contact the Director (or Chair) of your academic unit. 

Step 3: 

If you have gone through the above steps and still cannot find a satisfactory solution to your problem, you may contact the Vice-Dean of Graduate Studies (or equivalent position) of your faculty for assistance with your academic complaint. 

Still not sure where to go?  

At any time, you have access to these different resources that can help you if you have a complaint or a problem: 

  • uoSatisfACTION can receive your complaint while preserving your anonymity and offering you rapid follow-up. 

  • The International Office  offers support to international students. In addition, the International Mentoring Centre is there to answer your questions regarding Canadian culture and student life.  

  • The Human Rights Office can help you if you are experiencing issues of inclusion, employment equity, accessibility, harassment, discrimination, or sexual violence.    

  • The Student Rights Centre is run by students who can help you assert your rights and support you in the resolution process.  

  • The Office of the Ombudsperson can provide you with information or advice regarding existing recourses and help you resolve conflicts and problems with impartiality and independence, in complete confidentiality.