An individual must actively and willingly give consent to sexual activity. Simply stated, sexual activity without consent is sexual assault. "No one consents to be sexually assaulted." Consent:
- Is never assumed or implied;
- Is not silence or the absence of "no";
- Cannot be given if the person is impaired by alcohol or drugs, is unconscious or asleep;
- Can never be obtained through threats or coercion;
- Can be revoked at any time;
- Cannot be obtained if the perpetrator abuses a position of trust, power or authority;
- Might not be given properly if an individual has a condition that limits his or her verbal or physical means of interaction - in such instances, it is extremely important to determine how consent will be established.