A victim is never responsible for a sexual assault. However, there are tips and precautions you can take to minimize your risk of becoming a victim :
Go out with a friend
- Watch out for each other.
- Stay together at all times.
- Don’t let your friend go home alone or with a stranger.
Know your limits and protect yourself
- Don’t go out on an empty stomach—eat something if you know you’ll be drinking.
- Drink responsibly—don’t abuse drugs or alcohol.
- Keep your glass covered with a coaster when you’re not drinking from it.
- Don’t mix different types of alcohol or drugs.
- Don’t accept drinks from anyone you don’t know or trust.
- Don’t drink from a bottle you didn’t open yourself or watch a bar staff open.
- Don’t drink from a glass you’ve left unattended or if your beverage looks strange or smells or tastes “off”—best to get a new drink.
- Don’t mix alcohol with any prescription or over-the-counter drugs.