Please consult our Admissions FAQs for the latest information on the impact of COVID-19. If you cannot find the answer to your query there, you can still communicate with us.

Canadian citizens studying abroad

You are a Canadian citizen who has studied in high school or the equivalent abroad.

1 - Prepare your application

Explore our programs.

Find out which prerequisite courses and additional requirements you need for the program(s) you’re interested in. If you completed your prerequisite courses in Canada, see the province or territory where you studied.

  • For some programs you may have to provide additional supporting documents or pass an audition or exam.
  • Depending on the country where you have studied, you may have to pass a language test. We may also request the results of a language test if we consider this necessary.

Make sure to check application deadlines and available programs.

  • While most programs accept admission applications until June 1, some programs have different deadlines. It’s important for you to check this information before applying.
  • The University reserves the right to stop accepting applications before the deadline.

2 - Submit your application

Apply online through the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC) website using the OUAC 105 form.


  • You must declare all current and previous postsecondary studies, completed or not, even if they are not related to your current application. Failure to do so may result in the cancellation of your application or the withdrawal of your offer of admission at any time.
  • You must pay fees for all admission applications. Visit the OUAC website for information on application fees.

3 - Provide the documents needed to evaluate your file

Check uoZone for the list of documents we need to evaluate your admission application. Send all documents to the Admissions Office by uploading them to uoDoc, via uoZone. We will assess your application when we have received all required documents.

NoticeCopies of transcripts submitted through uoDoc are not considered official. If you are admitted, you must submit your official transcript with final grades.

International secondary school transcripts

If you are studying in a secondary school in another country, you must submit your transcript.

International postsecondary school transcripts

  • If you are studying in a college or university in another country, submit your transcripts through uoDoc.
  • If you have taken the prerequisite courses for your program in secondary school, we require your secondary school transcripts.
  • If you are currently taking courses, you must submit the codes and titles for them.

Official transcripts once you’ve been admitted

If you are admitted, you must submit an official transcript. An official transcript must be printed and stamped with an official seal and sent by the institution in question, or a copy certified by a notary, lawyer or commissioner of oaths.

Mail your transcript to:

Admissions Office
Tabaret Hall
75 Laurier Avenue East, Room 109
Ottawa, ONK1N 6N5

We do not generally consider photocopied, faxed or emailed transcripts, officials, unless the institution sends them to us directly, by fax with letterhead or by email and signed by the institution’s proper authority.

Submit your documents on time. Learn more about deadlines and available programs.

Notice The University of Ottawa may request any other document necessary to evaluate your file. All documents become property of the University. You are responsible for ensuring that we receive all requested documents by the deadline.

4 - Learn about how your application is handled

When evaluating your application, we may decide to offer you advanced standing:

  • if you have been enrolled in the International Baccalaureate program
  • if you have taken courses as part of the Advanced Placement Program (AP)
  • If you studied in a lycée recognized by the Agence pour l'enseignement français à l'étranger

Admissions decisions are not all sent out at the same time. The program you have chosen and the strength of your application can determine when your admission decision is sent out. You might receive our decision on your application to one program, but our decision on another might come later.

5 - Complete a declaration of personal experience

At the University of Ottawa, we believe that grades don’t always tell the whole story. So, if you’re a Canadian citizen or have permanent resident or refugee status, your average is below the average required for the program you’re applying for and you would like to strengthen your application file, you can tell us about challenges you’ve faced that may have affected your grades by completing a declaration of personal experience.

Use of this declaration is optional.

NoticeExceptions – This declaration is part of a pilot project for Canadian students and students who have permanent resident or refugee status except for those applying to programs in the Faculty of Medicine, the Faculty of Education, the Civil Law Section, programs leading to a Juris Doctor designation or graduate studies.

How to complete and submit a declaration of personal experience

6 - Keep informed after sending in your application

We will acknowledge receipt of your application within two weeks by email. Save this message, because it contains your student number, your uoAccess ID and the password you’ll need to track your application in uoZone and know if you need to send additional documents.

Track your application by accessing your admission file in uoZone. Remember: your uoAccess ID and password are included in the acknowledgement of receipt of your application.

  1. Go to the Students page.
  2. In the uoZone box, click Login.
  3. Type your uoAccess ID and password.
  4. Click Login.
InformationNot checking your admission file, personal or @uOttawa email is not considered justification for the University to re-open your admission application or offer of admission file once it has been cancelled or closed.
Back to top