Canadian secondary schools

You are a Canadian high school student outside of Ontario or have a high school diploma from a province other than Ontario.

1. Make sure you're ready to apply

To be admitted to university, you must complete the minimum number of courses required by your province or territory to earn a High School Diploma. Please note:

  • You must also complete the Grade 12-level prerequisites required for your chosen program, unless otherwise indicated.
  • Please note that the requirements listed are minimum requirements only and are subject to change. Meeting these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.

To check the minimum averages and prerequisite courses you need for the program(s) you are interested in, select the province or territory of your high school:

Good to know

  • You can apply as early as mid-October for the following fall term. While most programs accept applications for admission until June 1, some programs have different deadlines. Check the deadlines and available programs.
  • Grade 12 CO-OP, career, and work experience courses do not count towards admission requirements.
  • For some programs, you may have to provide additional supporting documents or pass an audition or exam.
  • If you have been studying in Canada for less than three years, you might have to provide us with your official results in one of the following University-approved language tests. We reserve the right to request the result of a language test at any time, if necessary.
  • In some programs, you can apply to the Co-operative Education Program or French Immersion Stream. Just indicate your choice on the application form.

Applying to CO-OP

You can gain 16 months of hands-on work experience with top employers as you study by joining our CO-OP program, the fifth largest in Canada.

  • You’ll need an admission average of 80% to be admitted to the CO-OP program.
  • Joining a CO-OP program is entirely up to you and has no impact on admission decisions.

Choosing your language of study

  • We are the largest English-French bilingual university in the world. We are so bilingual that you can take a course in French and hand in your work in English, or vice-versa! You have the right to produce work and answer exam questions in English or French.

Choosing French immersion

  • You can boost your future earnings by learning or perfecting your French through our French Immersion Stream.
  • If you have attended a French-language high school, you are not eligible for French Immersion. You are eligible if you took French immersion, extended French or core French in an English-language school.

2. Apply online

  • Apply online through the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC), by completing form 105.
  • On the form, declare all current and previous postsecondary studies, completed or not, even if they are not related to your current application. Failure to do so may result in the cancellation of your application or the withdrawal of your offer of admission at any time.
  • You must pay application fees for all admission applications. Visit the OUAC website to find out which fees you need to pay.
  • OUAC is not part of the University of Ottawa. It handles applications to Ontario universities and transfers your application to us.

3. Log into uoZone to track your status

  • You should receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application within one week of applying. Keep an eye on your junk mail inbox, just in case. If you do not receive it within two weeks, email
  • Be sure to save the acknowledgement of receipt email. It tells you how to log into the uoZone student portal to track the progress of your application. It also includes your student number, user ID and password.
  • Once you have logged into uoZone, check your Admission file for the list of supporting documents you need to submit to complete your application.

4 - Learn about how your application is handled

Submit your transcripts through uoDoc(in uoZone). Also, please note:

  • If you are currently taking courses that do not appear on your transcript, you must submit their course codes and titles through uoDoc.
  • Transcripts submitted through uoDoc are not considered official. If you are admitted, you must submit your official transcript with final grades.
  • An official transcript must be printed and stamped with an official seal and sent by the institution in question, or a copy certified by a notary, lawyer or commissioner of oaths.
  • The University of Ottawa may request any other document necessary to evaluate your file. All documents become property of the University and will not be returned to applicants. You are responsible for ensuring that we receive all requested documents by the deadline.

Submit your documents on time. Learn more about deadlines and available programs.

5. Know about advanced standing

International Baccalaureate program

If you’re registered in the IB Diploma Program (external site), we can grant you advanced standing for higher level courses in which you have achieved a grade of 5. The advanced standing you receive depends on the requirements of the program you’ve chosen.

Advanced Placement program

If you have taken Advanced Placement program (AP) courses, we might grant you advanced standing for AP courses in which you’ve achieved a score of at least 4 in your AP exam. We can grant you up to 30 units, depending on the requirements of the program you’ve chosen.

Virtual events

Join us virtually!

Don’t miss an opportunity to get your questions answered! Whether you need help choosing your program, finalizing your admission application, or have already applied and have questions, we’ve got plenty of virtual opportunities for you to get the information you need, including recorded presentations on admissions from our different open house events. Visit our admission events page regularly for the most up-to-date information about our events.

Your uOttawa representative

Hi! I’m Alexandre, the University of Ottawa representative for Canadian secondary school students. If you have any questions, feel free to send me an email!

Learn more about uOttawa — or connect with other future uOttawa students:

Back to top