International applicants — other recognized curriculums
Each year, thousands of international students come to the University of Ottawa for a Canadian degree. They come because of the reputation the Canadian education system enjoys, and in particular, because of the University of Ottawa’s unique multicultural and bilingual (English and French) environment.
The University of Ottawa accepts applications from qualified students completing the following curriculums.
International baccalaureate diploma
International baccalaureate diploma
Applicants enrolled in the International Baccalaureate Diploma program are eligible for admission if they have completed (or are in the process of completing) the full IB program and meet the following conditions:
- Have passed six subjects (including the prerequisites for your program of choice) with at least three at the Standard Level and three at the Higher Level.
- Have a minimum average of 29 points. The minimum average might be higher depending on the program you have chosen.
Please note that we do not take bonus points and additional points into consideration when calculating your average.
You can complete the prerequisites at either the standard or higher level. ‘’Math Studies” is acceptable for all engineering and science programs.
International baccalaureate certificate
You cannot be considered for admission to the University of Ottawa if you only hold an International Baccalaureate certificate. You must have obtained or be in the process of obtaining a high school diploma (or equivalent) in your home country.
We will consider granting you transfer credits for higher level courses if you have passed with a minimum score of five. The number of credits you receive depends on the program of study you are admitted to.
General Certificate of Education (GCE) curriculum
Applicants enrolled in the GCE program can submit an application if they meet the following conditions:
- Have passed at least two A-level subjects.
- Have completed five subjects overall (including either AS- or O-level subjects).
For all programs, you must have O-level English with a minimum grade of B. All other prerequisites must be A- or AS-level subjects and you must have a minimum grade of B.
Please note that two AS-level subjects are equivalent to one A-level subject.
For programs requiring more than two prerequisite subjects, at least two of the subjects must be at the A- or AS-level. Other prerequisite subjects can be at the O-level unless you have taken them at the A- or AS-level.
- Math must be at the A or AS-level.
- The General Paper cannot count as a subject.
- We do not issue admission decisions based on predicted grades.
- You need a minimum overall average of B (or higher) to be considered for admission.
- We do not grant credit transfers for courses completed under this curriculum.
American-patterned curriculum (U.S.)
Applicants enrolled in an American high school program in the United States or abroad must meet all of these requirements to be considered for admission:
- Have completed (or be in the process of completing) Grade 12.
- Meet the minimum average required for your chosen university program.
- Have completed all prerequisites for your chosen university program.
Prerequisites must be completed in Senior Year (Grade 12). They can be at a lower grade level if they are Advanced Placement or honours courses.
If your chosen program of study requires three or more prerequisites, we might consider Grade 11 (junior level) courses as prerequisites.
If you have taken Advanced Placement courses, we might grant you advanced standing for courses where you have achieved a score of at least four on your Advanced Placement exam. We can grant you up to 30 units (credits), depending on the requirements of your chosen university program.