Once a placement has been approved, it is possible to revoke this decision and the placement can be cancelled due to a change in conditions in the country, loss of in-country supervisor, or arising academic or professional concerns on the part of the learner. Pre-departure training is a mandatory requirement to be approved for a global health placement.
Advantages of participating in global health experiences include:
- Developing a better understanding of the social and environmental determinants of health;
- Learning about public health, healthcare and research in resource poor settings;
- Becoming involved in a cultural exchange;
- Using the knowledge gained about other cultures in order to develop a better understanding of Canada's multicultural population;
- Developing technical skills and competencies;
- Encouraging contemplation of a career in Global Health.