- Natural and human-induced hazard mitigation
- Smart (instrumented) infrastructure
- Building information modelling and visualization
- Climate change adaptation
- Advanced and/or sustainable construction materials
- Renewable energy
- Physical and cyber infrastructure protection and security
- Infrastructure rehabilitation
- Life cycle analysis and lean construction optimization
- Water security
- Smart cities
- Efficient vehicles
Areas of research
What's happening in this field?
The University of Ottawa’s Faculty of Engineering is home to a range of seasoned academics whose work revolves around the study of sustainable and resilient infrastructure. This research area leverages the strengths of the faculty’s Department of Civil Engineering.
Civil infrastructure is critical to society. A large number of concrete structures built in the 1960’s to 1980’s in Canada and worldwide are showing signs of distress caused by multiple damage mechanisms.