I started my BEd studies elsewhere and would like to complete them at your institution. Is it possible to transfer credits?

Courses in a BEd program begun in another province or country cannot be transferred to the University of Ottawa’s BEd program. If you have begun your studies in an Ontario Teacher Education program offered in English or a Formation à l’enseignement program offered in French after September 2015, you may request transfer credits, however, your case will be evaluated on an individual basis. Please note that only courses taken in the language of the program to which you are applying are transferrable. A detailed course description of each course will be required to establish the possibility of equivalency. Please send the documentation to [email protected]. If applicable, the transferred credits will be established by the Faculty after you have accepted your offer of admission.


What is the cut-off-average to be competitive in your program?

The minimum academic average required is 70% in the best 20 one-term undergraduate university courses (or 10 full-year courses). However, since the experience is equally weighted with the average, it is the total score obtained that makes one competitive. Every year, total scores vary by teaching subject and level; it is therefore difficult to predict which cut-off average would make you competitive.

How do you calculate my academic average?

If you studied in Canada or the United States, your average will be calculated by using the 20 best undergraduate university courses (or 10 full-year courses) officially completed by September 1 of the year preceding your studies. If you studied elsewhere, your average will be based on your annual grade point average.

Do you include teaching subject courses and graduate courses in the average?

Courses required to satisfy the teaching subject are not necessarily included in the average if they are not part of your best 20 courses. Marks obtained for graduate courses, Cégep courses or College courses are not considered in the calculation.

Do you require a minimum average in courses used toward a teaching subject?

No. You must have a passing grade in the course and obtained the credits.


What do you mean when you talk about a given subject versus a related course?

A course in a given subject is a core course (we also call it “pure”). It is clearly identified by its course code (E.g.: BIO or BIOL for Biology, GEG or GEOG for Geography). A related course is one that has a substantial content (80%) related to the subject (E.g.: Physiotherapy for Biology, Geology or Environmental Studies for Geography). If in doubt, you can send an official and detailed description of this course by email at [email protected] .

How do I know if I have the right courses for a teaching subject?

The Table of Teaching subjects lists courses that we will accept as “pure” (core) and “related” courses in your teaching subject. If in doubt, you may send a course description to [email protected] .

Do I need specific courses to teach at the Primary/Junior level?

At the Primary/junior level, you are not required to choose a teaching subject. However, we recommend that you complete at least 1 course in each of the following groupings: English/Linguistics/Languages; Mathematics/Statistics; Physical sciences/Life sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Physics); Social Sciences/Humanities; Visual Arts/Music/Drama. A bonus point to your total score is awarded if you have a course in at least 4 out of 5 groupings. No points are deducted from your score if you have less.

At the Intermediate/Senior level, can I use the same course for both the first and the second teaching subject?

No. You may not use the same course for two different teaching subjects at once. For example, if you apply to “Biology / Physical Education”, you may only use your Musculoskeletal Anatomy I course for either Biology or Physical Education.

If I already have a BA, is it beneficial to complete additional courses?
Since the average is calculated based on your best 20 one-term courses completed by September 1st of the year preceding your admission, it will have no impact on the decision. We do not calculate courses completed after this date. However, if, these courses are to be used to satisfy the requirements of your teaching subject, you must indicate them on your application and complete them (e.g. as a special student) before you begin the program.


Can I obtain my degree over the summer before I go into the B.Ed.?

The undergraduate degree must be conferred before the beginning of classes. Thus, if you complete your program during the summer, you must provide a letter from your faculty or university stating that you have met all the requirements and that you will graduate at the Fall Convocation.


Where do I fill out my Statement of Experience?

The Statement of experience is only accessible once submit an application through OUAC. Once we receive your application, an email from our Admissions Office is sent to you with an account. You will be able to complete your online Statement through that account.

What kind of experience is required?

Experiences such as teaching, summer camps, coaching, tutoring, T-A, paid or volunteer work with groups where you planned, delivered and evaluated a program are all good experiences. However, although a wide variety of experiences can increase your understanding of teaching and learning, it is not so much the number of experiences that is important as your ability to respond thoughtfully to the questions. The completeness of your submission, your writing skills and how your experiences relate to teaching are also considered.

Can my experience be used to replace a course required for a teaching subject?

No. Experience is not considered to satisfy a teaching subject requirement.

Can I use a referee from outside Canada?

Yes provided your contact can be reached by email.


Is the Examen de compétence linguistique for the Formation à l’enseignement program acceptable for the FSL proficiency requirement?

No. You must register for both the French Proficiency Test for the FSL option of the Teacher Education program and for the Examen de compétence linguistique for the Formation à l’enseignement program if you have applied to both programs.


Why am I on a waiting list?

Satisfying all the requirements does not guarantee admission. Admission to the Faculty of Education is very competitive and the program has limited enrolment. Decisions are made according to the quality of the file and the number of places available in each teaching subject and / or division. At the time of the decision, if the number of qualified candidacies exceeds the number of places and your total score is insufficient, you could be placed on a waiting list.

What are my chances of being admitted from the waiting list?

The waiting list is not numbered and so unfortunately, it is impossible to know your chances of admission. If admitted, you will receive an email informing you of the update. However, we do strongly recommend that you verify your uoZone account regularly. You will remain on the waiting list until a spot is available or until the program meets its enrolment quota. The waiting list could be maintained until the first week of classes.

Can I submit additional documentation to increase my chances of being admitted from the waiting list?

Unfortunately, no. In fairness, all applicants are evaluated according to the same criteria (Academic average and Statement of Experience). Additional documents will not change the assessment of your application.

Should I accept an offer even if I am on a waiting list?

Yes. We suggest you respond to your offer by the deadline to avoid losing your place. Accepting an offer from another university has no impact on decisions pending elsewhere.


Can I teach in another province once I obtain my Teaching certificate?

Each province has specific criteria however the Ontario Labour Mobility Act adopted in 2009 simplifies this mobility. You must contact the ministry responsible for education in the province where you wish to practice. Find out more on this mobility on the OCT website.


Are all courses offered during the day?

Normally classes are given during daytime. However, due to classroom and teacher availability, certain classes are given in the evening.


Can I complete my Practicum in my hometown?

Your practica will be completed in one of the four school boards in Eastern Ontario with an accredited teacher, member of the Ontario College of Teachers.

Where can I get more information about Practicum?

Please visit our Practicum web page.


Do you offer scholarships and bursaries?

We automatically offer professional training scholarship to students with the highest cumulative admission averages. Once registered, you can apply for numerous scholarships through your uoZone account. In the meantime, find out more on the Financial Aid and Awards webpage.