Student Health and Wellness Centre uOttawa Moss Wall

Health care - When and where?

Many issues that are presented in the emergency room are ones that can be addressed by a general practitioner (or family doctor), a nurse, or at home.  The opposite is also true: Many issues that are presented in walk-in clinics are ones that should be addressed by urgent care providers. 

DISCLAIMER: The information on this page is an information resource only, and is not to be used as medical advice.  

If you are ever unsure about where to go for your health concerns, call Health Connect Ontario at 8-1-1 to speak with a nurse. They will direct you to the right services for your needs. 

A puppy with hot compress bag on its head

Do you have cold or flu-like symptoms?

  • Tips to start feeling better and avoid spreading the virus to others: 
    • Stay well hydrated and eat healthy

    • Get as much rest as possible

    • Wash your hands often

    • Cough into the crook of your elbow

    • Avoid socializing with or visiting people until you are well

  • Talk with your pharmacist about over-the-counter medications you might be able to take. 
  • Call 911 or your local emergency number (on-campus: Protection Services at 613-562-5411) if you have serious symptoms like: 
    • Trouble breathing or severe shortness of breath 

    • Non-stop chest pressure or pain 

    • Confusion or difficulty waking up or staying awake 

    • Pale gray or blue skin, lips or nail beds  

If you suspect you may have COVID-19, visit the Ottawa Public Health and  Government of Canada websites. 

What is your level of urgency?