Categories and status of undergraduate students

(Approved by the Senate on  February 28, 2017 and effective immediately)

Note: This regulation applies to undergraduate studies only.

There are two categories of undergraduate students at the University of Ottawa: regular students and special students.

A regular student is a person who has been admitted to a program of study leading to an undergraduate degree, diploma or certificate at the University of Ottawa, and who is registered for one or more courses in that program.

A special student is a person who is allowed by the University to register for undergraduate courses in order to obtain university units, but who is not seeking an undergraduate degree, certificate or diploma from the University.

The reasons below may be cited to register as a special student:

a) Personal interest

Individuals who do not provide proof that they meet the normal admission requirements may register for personal interest for a maximum of six units per term and a cumulative total of 30 units, provided they have not attended a secondary school as a full-time student for at least two years.

b) Professional certification

Anyone may take university courses in order to meet the certification requirements of an outside professional association. A justification letter from the association is required.

c) Transfer of credits

A person may take University of Ottawa courses for the purpose of transferring credits to another university or postsecondary institution where he or she is seeking a degree, diploma or certificate. A letter of permission or a formal written agreement from the student’s home institution is required. The student’s status (full‑time or part‑time) will depend on the number of credits taken with the permission of both the home institution and the University of Ottawa.

d) Upgrading

Individuals holding a recognized university degree may take courses at the University of Ottawa to update, improve or extend their training. Proof that the student holds a university degree is required.

e) Gifted student

Any high school student in his or her last year of secondary school studies may enroll in one course (three units) per term (maximum total of six units) while completing his or her secondary education (may be part-time status only at the University). To be eligible, students must either have an average of at least 90% or provide proof that they have been identified as gifted by a recognized competent authority (i.e. school board). They must also submit a written recommendation from their high school principal.

f) Improving academic standing

University of Ottawa students who have been required to withdraw from their faculty may enroll in a maximum of 12 units per term, for a total of thirty cumulative units, in order to improve their academic standing.

(Approved by the Senate on September 8, 2008)

Status of a student registered for 12 units or more during a term.

Status of a student registered for fewer than 12 units during a term.

Status of a student who has been authorized by one of the faculties to take one or more courses without obtaining units. Auditors are not entitled to write examinations, nor to hand in assignments and may not change their status after the deadline has passed for course changes for the term in which they are enrolled.